High in the Arctic . . Eskimo !

• Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Point Hope Alaska

Post 3+ Months Ago

A whale has been received: FOOD !!!
The celebration breaks out all over the ice.

Myra Lisbourned age 75 went running down to the edge of the ice to help these two captains carry the most prized portion of that whale up to the nearest sled.
I can't understand how she can do this. it is freezing out and she has no gloves on.

the flippers are rushed back to the village and the church bell is rung over and over and over and everyone still in the village knows what that means. SUCCESS!
the flippers are brough to every home of all the elders for close and careful inspection.

We do not want the big huge whales, they are just too much work and too tough. We want the "teenagers". 30 - 50 foot whales are our favorite.!

Now the real work begins. We have a 48 foot whale here. A ton per foot. That is an enormus weight to pull out of the ocean and onto the ice using people power only !!!
Calvin Oktollik is standing in the umiaq. The huge chunk of blulbber is cut out of the back of the whale in the back of the whale. it is visible in the lower right hand corner under the water.

First we eat before the hard work begins. A fresh whale cannot be eaten in the traditional manner which is raw & frozen. This blubber must be cooked, boiled. Everyone eats as the equipment is rounded up to pull this massive animal out of the ocean. This is very dangerous work. Back breaking work, exhausting work.

Hundreds of people are needed, EVERY-BODY is needed. Hey put that camera away and get in line I was told. I had to obey. but at one point in a long pause to adjust some equipment I was able to get out of line briefly and capture this image.

This is very dangerous work, the amount of weight is incredible 48 tons.

This is no easy task. anything can happen out here and sometimes does, in many tragic ways.

Barrow Alaska 1991 (no pics) Same exact situation: this is the dangerous part. Pulling all that weight with hundreds of people in a concentrated effort of raw strength in precise movements. The captain was noticing that the block & tackle was takingn on a huge strain when pulling the last portion of that whale upon the ice. He turned around and noticed 3 caucasian nurses from the hospital standing too close on one side. he motioned to them, He pointed to them, He shouted to them.. MOVE BACK, GET BACK. get off the way, they started to move, then stopped as the captain turned around, resumed the work at hand. Satisfied that everything was ok, he gave the command to pull.. and that "O" ring snapped.

The block & tackle speed through the air like a speeding bullet, I always noticed up here, that when people die, it is usually because they did not LISTEN & obey the very last words spoken to them.
Two women were decapitated immediately & suddenly, that mess smacked into the third lady who survived, but will never regain from her vegetable like state or condition. That had to be cleaned up quickly, prayers said & back to work. The ice is a very dangerous place. Anything can happen!

update: I was just informed by a member on CITY-DATA (Floyd Davidson)

He heard from a friend THAT this did not happen, and I was (discusting) for typing it out in this manner. ( I made a terrible mistake) and as such I must honestlly apologize for that mistake. (We were always told, it was TWO women who died)

that is not true. Only ONE woman died.! ( yes I am a very terrible person) for making that mistake..

AND oH !! THEY WERE NOT TOLD TO GET OUT OF THE WAY.
I got banned from City-Data dot com..

Megansmom (South Carolina) insisted I am not allowed to post images, on a photo forum of these people, and that I am not supposed to use real peoples names.
This woman insisted I was lying. and spent pages and pages harrasing me.
Each time I provided the proof. she picked another issue to hassle me about.

This has been posted on over 50 web photo fourms all over the internet.

Only 3 people have made these absurd mindless claims that I did not take these images and that I am lying.

I assure you. all it takes is one phone call to Point Hope to verify anything I have said, posted and writen.!

We had a very tough time with this whale, 48 tons= seventeen hours of backbreaking work, exhausted, tons of blubber had to be removed, before we could pull this massive animal upon the ice. Eveyrone is happy that this is finally finished, Now the work of dividing it all up as shares for each of the different crews, in order of how they reached this whale after the captain had harpooned it.

This is something I will never understand, I have seen it happen on 5 whale hunts. when that hunt is over, even though we are still out on the ocean ice. The whales know, when we are finshed.
All during the migration, during the hunt, these whales do not lift their tails out of the water when going past the point. Some how when this hunt is over, these whales know it, then, and only then, do they lift their tails out of the water as they pass by !!
As if to say, see you again, next year ! These whales have been passing this point for many many thousands of years, they know the hunters are here, they have a unique sense of smell, sight and humor, whales are like little children, they play and pass through here by the tens of thousands.. every year. we see them ! This is our food, for over 2,600 years !

After pullinlg up that whale, every one is exhausted, sitting down, resting, others are still working, I hear a big shout behind me.. 'Hey Dave" !!
I turnd around to see these three teenagers, sitting and smiling -=[click]=-
Once the whale is upon the ice then the elders carefully show the younger whalers how to divide a whale in the traditional manner. Point Hope is the only village that still uses the old traditional methods of whaling.
Dividing up this whale will take a couple to three days, then a few more days to get it all off the ice, back to the village and stored in the homes or siglauk (underground deep storage) units built deep into the permafrost.

Blubber= maktak (muk tuk) flammablel fat is the preferred diet of every eskimo above the Arctic circle. This is what these people live for, this food. this is their passion for all the incredibly hard work involved .. .. .. .. .. "just to eat"
But agencies and commmissions must loosen their grip on the indeginious peoples of the world. A motion is going before the United Nations this Dec. To allow the indeginious peoples the RIGHT TO EAT their foods in their manner with NO MORE OUTSIDE influences. These people waste nothing, they have never depleted any of the natural resources, the animals are in great abundance. But 3 is not enough to feed 800 people
Once the lip has been removed then the hundreds of slats of baleen are visible.
This is a much prized substance for many different purposes and uses.
Sears; in the late 1800's and earlly 1900s sold very popular corsets for women that had baleen slats sewn inside to keep the womans shape.!!
All of the baleen is covered with very fine strong black hairs on the edge of each piece, running the entire length of each piece. This is how the whale sifts the plankton from the water, through the hairs.
Baleen baskets are in huge demand the world over. This rare and intricate designs are sought after the world over and comand huge prices, which are snatched up very quickly.
For some families, this is their only source of income for the year, Making baleen baskets!! This is a long arduous process that takes an incredible amount of work to construct (later).

The Skull is all that remains, nothing is wasted. This head bone is given back to the ocean from where the gift came from. I swear there was more rejocing over this part, than any other part of the hunt!

NEXT: Whaling Festival, blanket toss, This is not what you think it is!!!!!!!!!

do you think NFL football is tough ? No.. NFL FOOTBALL has rules !!!

BLANKET TOSS HAS NO RULES: no referees, no equipment, the players ? the oldest women in the village, as in 80 years & up; compete, diving, jumping, running blocking, throwing anything goes, diving head first into the gravel to get the "prize" (more soon) !
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't doubt you took these photos.
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well it is simple to discern. but extremly frustrating when individuals such as Michael Jordan on NWphotoforum.

He still insists, I stole these images (chuckle) they have been published in too many different types of media. ALASKA'S ARCTIC (graphix art pubishing co.)Alaska magazine & newspapers @ that period of time when they were "new".

He insists these were taken in the seventies, that I did not process this film, and these are stolen.

Some people have even provided "proof" !!

but the very sad part is.. SOME of these people just can't read !!

I was "boyer" on three whale hunts, and published in Alaska Magazine on 3 occasions.

I clearly typed.. We had a business in Anchorage. This was our buisness, we owned it (business).

We were only here for one year,2002 -2003 The owners next door. Locked our doors, made a minor sign an agreement full of "legalese" that he couldn't understand, THEY LOCKED US OUT., took everything we owned.

We are currenly awiaing this law suit to finalize to see the dramatic outcome.

some member of NWphoto forum provided a photograph taken in 2007 as proof, that my post is a hoax.

We finally reached a milestone on our web site. that I never ever thought was possible.

One Million Hits in less than 2 1/2 months !

only 4 people have complained on four different forums out of the total of more than 50 photo forums I have posted this on. Just four EACH time, it is hand typed. the only 3 things that are copied and pasted are the segments on polar bears, and Iglu's, and a "trip" I am about to take you on, to other villages, in a plane and then finally land in Barrow, and continue providing you with images and stories.

I took the time to visit 3 of these beligerent individuals web sites to see if I could pick up some clues as to why they would stoop to such a low level of professionalisim.

In each case, each web site had the Xact same similarities, that are just so obvious

The three of them together, have the imaginaton and skills of a fourth grade student.

Their work, their "outer dress", is a far far cry from anything that even remotely resemble professonal quality and skiills! What they post is truely "laughable" !

That is the number one, response, in all 50 forums. MORE PHOTOS !! - nore stories.!!
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well well well well ooh my ! Good things come to those who wait.!

I posted a "story" .. actually many many stories and the overall concenus on over 50 web photo forums was:

UNAMINOUS ! more photos, more stories ! more, more, more. It was only because of your overwheliming interest in my work, that drove me onward, working long hard hours to type of this out so many, different times and in so many different ways.

THEN an ISSUE arose once again. from the Mike Jordan fan club two new members. That just can't wait to show their inept ability at recognizing the truth.

This occured at CITY - DATA dot com.

The thread was closed and I was banned !

I posted the story, using this image: of what happend in Barrow in 1991. You have read what I posted about the tragic accident that happend out there on the ice.

I am extremly careful when I type, I hate making a mistake that leads the person away from the actual intent of the TRUTH.

NO sooner had I posted the exact same story, told differently in all of the many forums. It always says the same thing, but you can tell I did not copy and paste that story,

ENTER:: : : floyd davidson - resident (in retirement) here in barrow) a white man, his web site says it all.

HE JUMPED RIGHT ON THAT post I made.

I am discusting he said. He said he had called someone here in Barrow, and that I was wrong. floyd went on to give himself a little "subtle pat on the back".

He expressed his outrage of what I had typed and the "story it had presented" floyds version was as follows, only one person died, she got hit in the chest, Those 3 women were never told to move out of the way. again comments were made, and I quickly apologized, because I have no problem ever admitting when I am wrong, and I was not an eye witness to this. I ONLY TYPED WHAT I HAD HEARD FROM TOO MANY PEOPLE :

Now toinght, I asked a Native from Barrow named Eli. everyone in Barrow knows exactly who I am speaking about when use the description of a "brick wall" There is only one Eli in Barrow that FITS that description.

Eli - ? Where you in Barrow when that happened ? I asked him tonight.

Eli is always over our house, as he is a master ivory carver here in Barrow of many decades of experience. He likes my sons and I am glad. this is good.

Here are Eli's words about what happened that fateful tragic day out on the ice in1991.

I was not there, he said, I had just left, we had to go back to town to get supplies, During one part of the long journey back to the village, they noticed a helicopter heading down to the same location they had just left from. SOMETHING IS WRONG. they turned around and went back.

Here are the EXACT WORDS that > that eye witness used when he entered the area.

TWO PEOPLE DIED no... No one told them to get out of the way, IT ALL HAPPENED TOO FAST. with no warning. the whale was 50 tons, 50 foot huge massive animal of the sea. We do it all different now, since that day, we always use TWO, BLOCK & TACKLE now.

When that block & tackle took off, like a speeding bullet, two womens' .. .. .. .. smashed skulls, w/brain matter were scattered all over a rather large area. Eli was one of the hunters, who were given "bags" and he and many others walked around the area, picking up the portions of brain matter, portions of skull with hair still attached and other recognizable portions of what once were living breathing people with something to do.. .. "just let me watch? I wanna see. -=[SNAP]=-

yes one woman lived, AND as I said.. she is not . but is.

.....'thanks for clearing that up.. Eli.. "panak " ! Qannakpakasunna my friend.! Taikuu sunna.

In memory of: D. Perez & ? Fischer -
  • savantcreative
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • savantcreative
  • Loc: Long Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very Nice Work! What are shooting with?

Thanks
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pentax K1000 & Mamiya RB 67 two rugged workhorse cameras.

Mechanical cameras, NO batteries needed or used. No need.

they worked flawlessly, and at times, they were encased in ice of abuot 1/16" - 1/8 of an inch. always cracking when I moved any of the controls. these cameas work wonderfully, never jammed or froze up. .they were indeed sluggish, but over all, I have not found any weakness in their abilitiy to do the job

• darla khan
  • Born
  • Born
  • darla khan

Post 3+ Months Ago

DAVID......so amazing!!! I LOVED READING IT ALL and want to share your writings on a blog but would like your permission in doing so...

I hope you make a book so I can buy it.....THIS WAS SO COOL!!!

MANY BLESSINGS TO ALL OF YOU UP THERE IN BARROW,ALASKA...
may God and his angels be watching over all of you...
This kind of life you speak of is not an "instant life" but you surely are richer than the one's with materilistic riches...
you are at one with nature...I WAS SO THRILLED TO READ THIS!

WAIT & WATCH Irma said to me, laughing, she can see the look on my face, she knows I dont believe what she is saying, (we know better.. right?) Well . I don't know how to explian this. just to repeat what Irma said, using her exact words. I still don't understand all of this, but I am amazed beyond what words can ever express on how these people truely are one with nature and the animals.

Wait & watch Irma said to me. This year it is a very warm year ( it was 25 below) I dont consider that very warm at all, to me it is freezing indeed. Irma laughs. This is Joes weather. she added. laughing, watch, When Joe receives a whale it is all over very quickly she said. he will receive that whale near the edge of the ice.
but she added (laughing) when he harpoons that whale, It will die and give up quiclly, still & dead. The wind will come screaming in at over 100 miles an hour and the temperature will drop by 100 degrees as well. you better be prepared she said and laughed. Ididn't believe one word of it I have to admit, it all sounded preposterous to me.
  • raeann_edwardsen
  • Born
  • Born
  • raeann_edwardsen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Majik_Imaje wrote:
Well well well well ooh my ! Good things come to those who wait.!

I posted a "story" .. actually many many stories and the overall concenus on over 50 web photo forums was:

UNAMINOUS ! more photos, more stories ! more, more, more. It was only because of your overwheliming interest in my work, that drove me onward, working long hard hours to type of this out so many, different times and in so many different ways.

THEN an ISSUE arose once again. from the Mike Jordan fan club two new members. That just can't wait to show their inept ability at recognizing the truth.

This occured at CITY - DATA dot com.

The thread was closed and I was banned !

I posted the story, using this image: of what happend in Barrow in 1991. You have read what I posted about the tragic accident that happend out there on the ice.

I am extremly careful when I type, I hate making a mistake that leads the person away from the actual intent of the TRUTH.

NO sooner had I posted the exact same story, told differently in all of the many forums. It always says the same thing, but you can tell I did not copy and paste that story,

ENTER:: : : floyd davidson - resident (in retirement) here in barrow) a white man, his web site says it all.

HE JUMPED RIGHT ON THAT post I made.

I am discusting he said. He said he had called someone here in Barrow, and that I was wrong. floyd went on to give himself a little "subtle pat on the back".

He expressed his outrage of what I had typed and the "story it had presented" floyds version was as follows, only one person died, she got hit in the chest, Those 3 women were never told to move out of the way. again comments were made, and I quickly apologized, because I have no problem ever admitting when I am wrong, and I was not an eye witness to this. I ONLY TYPED WHAT I HAD HEARD FROM TOO MANY PEOPLE :

Now toinght, I asked a Native from Barrow named Eli. everyone in Barrow knows exactly who I am speaking about when use the description of a "brick wall" There is only one Eli in Barrow that FITS that description.

Eli - ? Where you in Barrow when that happened ? I asked him tonight.

Eli is always over our house, as he is a master ivory carver here in Barrow of many decades of experience. He likes my sons and I am glad. this is good.

Here are Eli's words about what happened that fateful tragic day out on the ice in1991.

I was not there, he said, I had just left, we had to go back to town to get supplies, During one part of the long journey back to the village, they noticed a helicopter heading down to the same location they had just left from. SOMETHING IS WRONG. they turned around and went back.

Here are the EXACT WORDS that > that eye witness used when he entered the area.

TWO PEOPLE DIED no... No one told them to get out of the way, IT ALL HAPPENED TOO FAST. with no warning. the whale was 50 tons, 50 foot huge massive animal of the sea. We do it all different now, since that day, we always use TWO, BLOCK & TACKLE now.

When that block & tackle took off, like a speeding bullet, two womens' .. .. .. .. smashed skulls, w/brain matter were scattered all over a rather large area. Eli was one of the hunters, who were given "bags" and he and many others walked around the area, picking up the portions of brain matter, portions of skull with hair still attached and other recognizable portions of what once were living breathing people with something to do.. .. "just let me watch? I wanna see. -=[SNAP]=-

yes one woman lived, AND as I said.. she is not . but is.

.....'thanks for clearing that up.. Eli.. "panak " ! Qannakpakasunna my friend.! Taikuu sunna.

In memory of: D. Perez & ? Fischer -

The other lady you are talking about is my Aaka!! Her name was Georgiana Ahmaogak-Fischer!! And she was the lady that lived the accident! She walked away with a broken nose & cheek bone.
  • webmaster[+-]
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome photos, thank you for sharing them :thumbsup:
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well thank you all for your wonderful comments and interest in my work of 30 years here in the arctic.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure how this is the first time I have seen this thread since its been going for years now, but I have to say there are some really amazing photos there. Nice work.
  • Majik_Imaje
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why thanks Mr. BIGwebmaster; I have so much to post & tell and show you some amazing photos of life in the Arctic. 3 a.m. in the morning polar bear watch. This is in Barrow Alaska. Whaling is different in Barrow than in Point Hope.

For one - in Point Hope the hunters sleep outside no tents - the tents are just for the women.

In Barrow out on the ocean ice there are no women just the hunters and they use the tent to sleep and post a guard in case polar bear attacks.
Attachments:
behold.jpg

Behold the beauty of the Arctic

• KimberlyNK2_

Post 3+ Months Ago

Majik_Imaje, you live an amazing life. The pictures are just amazing. I can agree you love this place from what I read. Pictures match perfectly to the stories. You have my respect.
  • sn0wd3n
  • Born
  • Born
  • sn0wd3n

Post 7 days ago

Awesome.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 44 posts