Input for a Photography Tutorial

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to know what people want to have in the photography tutorials. Is there anything you think a lot of people will benefit from? Is there something you're confused about? Specific things or a broad and brief type of tutorial?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are some ideas:
How about some basic compositional technique?
DOF and the relationship between aperture and shutter speed?
Common digital camera setting/tools like white balance, ISO, auto-focus?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Camera maintence.

How to decide which lenses to start with. From what I understand lenses are pretty expensive and starting with a few lenses that are "not your style" seems like it could stop a noob with a limited budget in their tracks right out of the gate.

Tricks to get people and animals to smile, sit still, etc.

What can I do to bring plant shots to life, get brilliant shots of light, capture untamed wilderness, bring out character, etc ?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
From what I understand lenses are pretty expensive

Understatement of the year! :)
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

AU$550 for my Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm, it's not the pro lens range either.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a canon phanatic, so 1K is cheap for the better of the lenses I'd like. Every heard of "L Fever"? :D I've had it for a few years now.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

So you can see how if someone were to buy a lense like that and not be happy with it, wait a month to save for a new one and not be happy with it either, they could be tempted to sell everything and find something else to do right ? :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Absolutely. :) POTN - I wouldn't (and haven't) purchased one without consulting them.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might create a tutorial or two for photography too. Things like covering the basic techniques as well as touching on some of the fun techniques.

Learning to use the time exposure times to create certain effects, and being as detailed as how to take a good photo of the sun or moon. Stuff like this are always fun to read and definitely something that will encourage people to share their work on Ozzu.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to mention in might get more photographers here on Ozzu :D
  • Jenie0109
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say provide aperture and shutter speed combination in various light conditions. With illustrations.
  • yomi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nigeria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, guys, this is one lover of art and i thought to go into Photography first as a hobby and then maybe professionally later on.

My Nikon D3000 is 7days old with me and I still havent done much with it. i sat with a pdf of beginning photography but i havent gone far with that and i would love to start shooting right away but what do i shoot? Where? Of all my random shots, i see that I need to be able to focus on the object i want to capture without involving too much of the background but no matter how i zoom i still pick stuff here nd there. I've just been playign with turning my pix to monochromes and thats very fascinating for me, but its merely at the press of abutton so, i'd like to take great picture myself, what should i focus on learning.

I thot of taking a course with NYIP but they have clearly stated that they dont ship their resources overseas :shock: . But then i thot, i can get on about this myself, just need to get started with it and look to the right places for tips.

So this is what I would like in a tutorial. How do i choose a location for shooting. What do i need to focus on when taking a shot and other stuff like that. Thanks.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are prepared to wait a few days i will put together some sort of tutorial for you if i get a moment. Busy for a couple of days but might have a few hours spare during the middle of the week.
  • yomi
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nigeria

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
If you are prepared to wait a few days i will put together some sort of tutorial for you if i get a moment. Busy for a couple of days but might have a few hours spare during the middle of the week.

:D Waiting! With my fingers crossed! Thanks in advance.
  • j2cool
  • Photographer
  • j2cool

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Camera maintence.

How to decide which lenses to start with. From what I understand lenses are pretty expensive and starting with a few lenses that are "not your style" seems like it could stop a noob with a limited budget in their tracks right out of the gate.

Tricks to get people and animals to smile, sit still, etc.

What can I do to bring plant shots to life, get brilliant shots of light, capture untamed wilderness, bring out character, etc ?

Hi,

I can answers your question, if you have not already receive one in a private message (I saw none in the string). If you are new to photography and would like to capture wild life and people but not sure what lens to purchase and do not want to make the wrong decision, I would recommend renting a lens. There a places depending in the town and state you live that rent them and there also a hand few of online business that rent them too. I would recommend renting a 70-200mm lens or even a lens that goes up to 300mm for the wild life. You will have to take in consideration the how low the aperture setting goes on the len(s). This important for letting in light. It is not as big a concern outdoor shooting in natural light but if you want to capture some nice candid shots of people without being right in their face so they can be more relax and natural indoor, it becomes more important. Renting a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 is a good lens for a well light area and can get in close from a distance. You can google "online lens rentals" and check for places to rent from. You can also narrow your search by adding your town and state in the search.

To make photographs of plants pops depending on if its a flower or greenery, make it the focus of the image by filling the frame with the flower. This means getting as close as you can to it while still being able to maintain the focus. If it is a larger plant or you want to include the surrounding area and/or background then incorporate what is called, "Rule of Thirds". You can find a link to read at google by typing "Rule of Thirds in a search website like Google.

It also helps to take pictures during certain times of day for better lighting; noon is when the sun is high and cast a harsh light that damage the look of an images and/or the subject matter. You will have to be patience getting wildlife and exercise caution depending on the subject matter.

Getting someone to smile takes practice, trial and error. It also depends on their age. What may work for a toddler will not work for an adult or teen so it hard to give a general answer for that particular question.

I hope this helps and can get you on your way to enjoy the wonderful world of photography. Unfortunately, I am not authorized to post any link to future assist you, sorry.

Take care

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts