Light Painting

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you ever wondered how to be a bit more arty when taking photographs? If you have a camera that allows you the freedom of changing the exposure settings then give light painting a go...

Wikipedia - Photography Techniques wrote:
Light painting also known as light drawing is a photographic technique in which exposures are made usually at night or in a darkened room by moving a light source or by moving the camera.

It's actually quite a fun thing to do, some of the light painting photographs i've seen have been amazing.

I found this website to have many excellent images*. It takes a bit of getting used to and you'll no doubt go through many many attempts before you can put together something you'll be proud of. Give it a shot.

*(linky)

If you want, share them on Ozzu and let us see how you do. Please remember to upload the images at no wider than 600px and no larger than 300kb in size.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I had a camera to do something like that then I would, but Im still stuck with a Olympus Digital 300. Basicly a point and shoot. I've looked into buying a camera but I spend to much on technology and I dont plan on going into the field. It would be more of a hobbie.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That looks like fun. If only I had a camera that would do like that. My camera isn't that "technologically advanced" :)
  • GiorgosK
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: geoland.org > Greece

Post 3+ Months Ago

Light graffiti,

this is amazing, I have some pictures similarly taken but are not as professionals as these ones.

When I get my skill up to theirs I will post a few ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's pretty slick. I only have a Powershot 400, so I won't be making any myself :(
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can count me in I will try to do a few as soon as i get some glow sticks. I have an LED light so that is cool will try that out in the next few days. Dont think I will have them as good as they did but will give it the ole one two.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay guys I just had to give it a try tonight I was just so inspired by the movie that they did now as you can see I got better as the pictures went along. now i am posting them in order and these start at picture 3 and then move up. now the first one i shot I noticed that the LED light was over exposing the pictures so I put a piece of tollet paper in front of the LED Light and it worked out better. So...

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do you do that without smearing up the photo? Or without showing the light source? I can't figure it out :scratchhead:
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the camera is on a tri-pod and is at an exposure of around say 30 seconds, this means he can move about with a light infront of the camera and it will only display the light.

It goes down to exposure, if he stood in front of the camera for say 5-10 seconds of the 30 second exposure then part of him would display as almost as if he was a ghost. Once he moves, the camera is going to sort of burn in what it can see, so if he moves to another area of the photograph for the rest of the exposure then it will print him there.

Incase you are unsure on what i mean by exposure, it basically means how long the shutter of the camera is open and therefore recording the image. If you have a 2000th of a second shutter speed then the chances are the image is going to be pretty much black as it hasn't had enough time to store the image. If it is say 3 seconds long then depending on the scene the image burns in more, but if there is movement especially with light it will record that.

I took a photograph off a bridge in Edinburgh, Scotland of the passing traffic. It was night, the exposure time was 30 seconds and the aperture was around 36 if i recall correctly. Here is the outcome of the shot...

So, to answer your question...if he is not moving about it would have recorded him in the photograph but because he's moving about with the light it is recording the light only as it is a brighter image that exposes easily. Does that make sense?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

well said SB if you notice that the first one look close and you can see part of my arm and the exposure on that picture was around 10 seconds and then last one was around 30 seconds. now if your point and shot cameras have a BULB setting then you can do this two but all you have to have more is one extra person holding the shutter down and then release when you are done with the drawing.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, I understand that now. Sounds cool :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts