New Camera. Any recommendations?

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know only of SLR cameras... I also heard of some other types of cameras... what are they? And what are they used for? What does SLR cameras used for as well?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the most common kinds of cameras are: Digitals, DSLR and DSLR-Like, Film SLR

By Digital I mean non SLR digital Cameras, the most generic camrea you will find at any store now.

The kinda of camera you get really depends on what you want to use it for.

While standard Digitals can do alot, there are things they lack that a DSLR will make up for. You can take perfectly fine pictures with a stand digital, but some shots become almost impossible. DSLR give you full control over all the aspects of taking a picture, while most stand digitals will cut you off to the most basics. DSLR-Like give you quite abit more control over the settings of your camera. For the most part you get everything a DSLR has but you cant change the lens. Also the price is decreased by quite a bit.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I'm leaning more on DSLR's now any good not-too-expansive DSLR cameras?
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Canon 400D is relatively inexpensive (I seen one for AU$1200 with 2 lenses) and is a great camera. You could also look at buying used ones on eBay or something.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
The Canon 400D is relatively inexpensive (I seen one for AU$1200 with 2 lenses) and is a great camera. You could also look at buying used ones on eBay or something.

I'm beginning to like that camera but I'm not getting in no hurry right now about actually buying one...

I want more ideas about a relatively inexpensive DSLR cameras... They are digital... right? If not, they seem to work like one :lol:
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

DSLR are all digital (that's what the D's in there for (Digital Single Lens Reflex)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Define inexpensive? how much were you thinking. Maybe give us a max price?

If you do that i can come up with a few cameras that might be of interest.

You can't go wrong with Ebay by the way. Take for example Breezes comment regarding the Canon EOS 400d, i found one on Ebay with a pretty standard 18-55mm lens and a 2GB memory card (everything you really need) with a "buy it now" for AU $893.99 (that's P+P as well).

I've also told many people on Ozzu over the past to look for the camera manufacturer shop on Ebay as they all tend to re-sell refurbished products for a significantly reduced price.

I personally would recommend the Canon brand, i currently used a EOS 350d and wouldn't fault it at all. The 350d is the previous model to the 400d and with exception to a few minor differences i don't really think there is a great deal of a difference between the two except for the large price difference.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should also add that i believe you're American and Australian prices are going to be different to American prices. I just had a look on the American Ebay site and saw a very similar Canon EOS 400d (without the memory card i think) for a combined total of $567.99 (at the time of viewing). The only thing regards this is the fact this item wasn't with a "Buy it now" price. If you were really interested in getting one of them though (which i think you should be) then you should definitely look at Ebay.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks SB.. That lifted my hopes for getting a camera :)

I was thinking the max of about 1 thousand dollars at the very most... no more.

(Although, the cheaper the better :))
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'd easily get a decent enough SLR Camera for $1000 if you follow the tips i gave you. No problems at all!

Good Luck!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
You'd easily get a decent enough SLR Camera for $1000 if you follow the tips i gave you. No problems at all!

Good Luck!

• Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Costco might be your friend on this one. They have a Canon 400d kit with two lenses for around $900 brand new. They also have the Nikon equivalent around the same price, though I think you're better off with the Canon in that price range.

Long term the camera itself is important, but in my opinion not nearly as important as the lens. I shoot with the Canon 300d (old school original Canon Digital Rebel). Instead of upgrading my camera body I've chosen to upgrade my lenses and have seen a huge improvement in image quality. The only difference is my files are only 6mp instead of 8mp or 10mp or 12mp (which you only need if you're printing above 8x10 size).

The great thing about all DSLRs is the lenses are interchangeable within whatever brand you go with, so you can get started with a cheaper kit like the 400d with 18-55 and 55-200 base lenses, then upgrade those to something like the 24-70 f2.8 IS and 70-200 f2.8 IS lenses before upgrading to a 40D or 5D if you really enjoy it.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks for the info... I'll definately look into it... although with the variety of recommendations... I might have problems choosing one :lol:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Ok thanks for the info... I'll definately look into it... although with the variety of recommendations... I might have problems choosing one :lol:

That's why it's always a good idea to go out and play with them. Go to ritz, go to walmart, target, wherever...and touch, feel, handle, and play with them all. Get a better idea of what feels good to you. That will make your decision easier.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks UNFLUX... The ones that fit right is either the one in Wal-Mart or Best Buy... but they are both over $1000 though...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What models where you looking at?

Nikon usely have a pretty good fit on their lower end cameras.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm hanging out to get a digital SLR camera too! getting closer to it though :D

Let us know what you end up getting! :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm telling anyone who will listen to me: Go get the Nikon D40x. Both at Best Buy and other places, you can get it in a kit with 2 lenses for $549! For a start, that's just incredible.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Woah, I just looked that up, that's a great buy! How can I see if the lens I already have will work on that camera?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_rev ... _d40x.html
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also found this interesting and unbiased analysis of 4 images taken with the camera.
http://www.cnet.com.au/digitalcameras/c ... 731,00.htm
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep in mind that I'm only suggesting the D40x vs the D80 for price. I would obviously recommend the D80 instead of price wasn't a factor. :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
I also found this interesting and unbiased analysis of 4 images taken with the camera.
http://www.cnet.com.au/digitalcameras/c ... 731,00.htm

Personally I can't stand reading those reviews. They nitpick and beat down a product that if the reviewer had any sense would either avoid or understand better before reporting as a negative.

For instance, in the first image, he has ISO800 and complains about image quality... duh. Well known that higher ISO produces more artifacts and grain, regardless of light. And the second image is pointing out the AF and how it didn't focus on the right thing. Then set the camera up to do what you want the first time. There's 4, 5...I don't know, different focus settings. Find the one that does what you wanted! Grrrr Image

I couldn't take any more and had to close that page. For a much more unbiased review of cameras, I would highly recommend going to http://www.dpreview.com . They have samples and direct comparisons, and lots of facts and data. Not just of Nikons either, but here's the ones that are top notch from them as of now:

D40: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40/

D40x: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40x/

D80: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD80/

I would also recommend looking into used equipment as well. You can get really good deals, lenses, bodies, flashes, etc.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
Personally I can't stand reading those reviews. They nitpick and beat down a product that if the reviewer had any sense would either avoid or understand better before reporting as a negative.

For instance, in the first image, he has ISO800 and complains about image quality... duh. Well known that higher ISO produces more artifacts and grain, regardless of light. And the second image is pointing out the AF and how it didn't focus on the right thing. Then set the camera up to do what you want the first time. There's 4, 5...I don't know, different focus settings. Find the one that does what you wanted! Grrrr Image

:shock: you're so clever :D

UNFLUX wrote:
Keep in mind that I'm only suggesting the D40x vs the D80 for price. I would obviously recommend the D80 instead of price wasn't a factor. :)

yeah for the price its a good camera. for an entry level camera anyways :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts