New Digital Camera

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I woke up this morning and heard a chapping on my door. It was the postman delivering my new Digital Camera, and boy was i pleased!

I am now the proud owner of a never been used second hand Canon EOS 350D SLR.

I need to purchase a CompactFlash disk before i can start storing and uploading any of the photographs i have taken, as soon as i have something i will be sure to share with you all the quality this 8MP camera has.

Does anyone else have this Digital Camera? Would you agree with the majority of the people i have spoken to and say that this is a good camera?
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks neat dude (sorry, no experience with it myself - or any canon digital when it comes to it ;s)

Did you get a good deal since it's second hand?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought it on Ebay. It said on the page that it was a "used" camera but when i got the package this morning it was spotless. I mean, usually you have a smell with the camera or some finger prints or scratches...this one had nothing! It even had all the wires tied up as if they were new and all the CD's and everything that i could need. It is as if it was a gift that someone didn't work that the flogged off online for £200 less than they could have sold it for.

Very pleased. I would be interested to see what other peoples experience of using this camera is though.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you did alright!
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those Canons are widely recognised as being very good. I look forward to seeing your shots (my family is going to Scotland next August on holiday - just need to decide where. Maybe your pics will help!).
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will take as much shots of the areas i would recommend visiting, however i still need to get a CompactFlash card before i can take any shots.

I would like to suggest that your family visits the north west and over the highlands for some of the more scenic areas. I have grown up not too far from the highlands and i often went along the more scenic routes and to this day it still amazes me. Edinburgh is a beautiful city as well, you wouldn't be making a mistake if you ever visited Edinburgh.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your recommendations SB - will have to start looking at hol details soon.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had the camera since Saturday and i still cannot take any images and upload them on Ozzu due to not having a CompactFlash card. I ordered a card to arrive via post this week yet it seems to be taking longer than it should be. Hopefully tomorrow evening and everything should be cool.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

After waiting for quite a while, i took my first proper shot on my new 350D. The picture is of my old Camera which decided to stop working a few weeks ago.

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's done a good job with the exposure - bright windows have come out lovely.

Side note:

I expect you're already aware of this, SB, but it's better to underexpose digital rather than overexpose when taking the shot - once highlights are burnt out they're gone (except if you're using RAW format maybe), where as slightly dull images can be brought back up.

Perhaps the image above could do with a quick unsharp mask as it seems slightly blurry, probably due to the downsampling to that size.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I appreciate your input there. What i will say is you don't want to see me when i have something in my possession i cannot use for nearly a week. As soon as i got that CF card i just wanted to take a picture, i wasn't really concerned about the setting (although obviously concerned enough to set my other camera up like that - go figure).

I can see where you are coming from and i do appreciate the input and i will remember this.

I also have the slight impression that i never quite focused the camera properly as you can see the other digi cam not quite looking in good focus. The lighting could have been better, but this wasn't something that i really gave a great deal of thought.

Thanks again though :wink:
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, I realise it was only a test shot (even if it's a very nice test shot). :)
  • Riptcage
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Riptcage

Post 3+ Months Ago

eos 350D? is that equivalent to the eos 30D? I've never heard of 350D. I work at a camera store and i sell cameras for a living.. I own a 30D myself.. interesting to hear about a 350D. The specs look pretty much the same. How much? =]
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can buy the Canon EOS 350d for around £450 in some stores. I know that the 400d (which is the newer version of the 350d) is going for around the same price if you buy it online.

You can read a bit about the 350d here. I know you will know this, but here is info about the 30D (which looks like a brand new model) here.

Does your 30D have a hard body? i somehow think that could be the main difference between the two cameras.
  • Riptcage
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Riptcage

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe the 350d and the 400d is european. and 20d and 30d is american... heh i don't know. cuz the 30D $1299 in retail stores body only. It is a hard body.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you could be right. I am not 100% sure.

The 350d has a softer body. I have seen the 10d, and despite being several years old it is a really tough body which is something i wish i had. It will last alot longer for this reason alone than the likes of the 350d.

I am going to do a bit more research into this as i'm quite interested in seeing what the difference is. Surely there must be something else about the 350d and 30d, although having a look at the specs they do look very similar.

The 30d also is under a year old, whereas the 350d is a few years old. It is interesting to see a camera which is released a couple years later with very similar spec to one that was released a few years ago.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts