Nikon Lens Issues

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, again.

I've been seeing a trend developing in regards to the build quality (or lack) of Nikon kit lenses.

Over the past couple of years, I've owned a Nikon D40 and most recently a D3000.
Both of these bodies came with Nikkor 18-55mm 1:35-5.6G...although the D3000 had the VR version.

Since owning these two cameras, I have had to replace the lenses on both for a couple of reasons.
Two lenses suffered a breakdown in the travel of the mechanism inside...it became too stiff to twist the lens barrel.
Two lenses suffered through breakage of the retaining rings.

I NEVER abuse my gear, always keep in safe places (out of the reach of my VERY curious girls) and have always treated all cameras with kid gloves.

I have heard similar stories with friend's cameras (some bought Nikon based on my recommendation), have any of you had (or know of) similar complaints?

I came to think of Nikon as the Gold standard of cameras, but I'm wondering if the slow downward spiral of the economy has affected the build quality of this product.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think i've ever really heard of the exact reason why i was told to avoid Nikon, but it did have something to do with lenses. Perhaps that is it. I've always used Canons and wouldn't ever use any other. Quality of camera and lenses tend to be very good.

I know that doesn't help you with regards to your current issues, but i would only assume that the warning i received regarding Nikon has something to do with possible similar issues to the ones you've mentioned.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's ironic that my 10 year old 3 MP Kodac is still taking pictures like a champ, but this $600 Nikon now balks at focusing on objects that are neither too close or too far away....time to call the warranty people again.

I think it goes without saying that Nikon cameras are out of the "picture" from now on.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold Canuck wrote:
I think it goes without saying that Nikon cameras are out of the "picture" from now on.

So, what are you thinking about doing now? Kodak? Canon?
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canon, I would think.
The first grade class that my youngest was in, had an online photopage to help parents have a better idea of what their kids experience on field trips, and this one parent has a very nice Canon that takes incredibly sharp, clear pictures with nice vibrant colors that were true to what we saw on that trip, so...I may have to save up for a while to get a similar one.
I'd bought that Nikon with high hopes, but it let me down...maybe I can sell it locally or on eBay/craig's list etc.

Don't take my rants to suggest that Nikon's take crap pictures, nothing could be further from the truth, I just have an issue with their build quality and the fact that Canon's seem to take even nicer pictures.
The few pictures that I've submitted here for comps were taken with my Nikon, so it's not all fecal matter and swamp gas, just a bit of a disappointment.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've not actually used a Nikon D40 before (i don't think), is it a solid build or is it a bit plastic-y?

I had a Canon EOS 40D several years ago and the build quality was fantastic. It seemed solid and one that i imagined would last for decades if i wanted it to. I actually wish i hadn't sold it now.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to take a walk through the local Costco and Sam's Club to see how the two brands feel in-hand.
Generally, the Nikon feels solid and has some heft, but the lens just doesn't stand up to use, sad to say.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts