Now you can earn money for your photos on Flickr

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fancy earning some money for some of the photographs you have submitted to Flickr?

BBC News

Getty Images are now giving non pro/semi pro photographers the chance to earn money from the photographs submitted onto the flickr website. There is no word on how much you can earn, however the general rate is believed to be around $150-$240 (£100-£160).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's pretty cool. Never really thought about using Flickr, but that certainly could provide some motivation.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to have a few of my photographs used by Getty. I am not entirely sure what would be viewed as good by them and if there is in fact anything they would want to pay me for. I really need to read more into this, if i can make anything from these photographs i'd be pretty pleased.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whilst there is no money involved that I am aware of, one of my photographs has just been submitted for selection to be used in the shmaps Toronto guide. Fingers crossed they decide to use it.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Whilst there is no money involved that I am aware of, one of my photographs has just been submitted for selection to be used in the shmaps Toronto guide. Fingers crossed they decide to use it.

Just received email confirmation today that the photograph was selected and has now been published :)
  • bids
  • Born
  • Born
  • bids

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never thought about using Flickr. I will try it.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
SB wrote:

Just received email confirmation today that the photograph was selected and has now been published :)

Congrats! That's pretty awesome.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
SB wrote:

Do share :)
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photograph on the top right - http://www.schmap.com/toronto/sights_zo ... 79_362.jpg

Not entirely sure if they do a hard copy of this or if it is just an online publication. Can anyone confirm?
  • busine55
  • Born
  • Born
  • busine55
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
SB wrote:

Wow ! great news for you.

Getting published is one thing, and selling is another thing. Unless the photos are great shots, high res and well taken shots, it's not going off the shelf.

Competitively priced photos will make it a plus for you. Best is to leave it under "offer". This way, you will not put off those would be buyers for putting your asking price too high.

I have put up my photos for sale in a few photo sharing sites and photo selling sites. Hope some of my photos will be sold too... :wink:

I think I will try to put into Flickr too..

Good job again.

Cheers !
Vince
  • Rincewind
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got an email last week from Getty images saying they have selected one of my images for sale. It's a shot of the Cathedral in Macau, China. Don't know how much I'll get yet but normal Getty rates are 20 to 30% of the bill goes to the photographer.

I've been using flickr since it started. Just in the last 3 months I began to take it more seriously. I tidied up my sets and collections, tweeked my images. Added tags, titles and descriptions. Lastly I added as many photos as possible (I have about 6000 on flickr) to the relevant groups.

Since making these changes I have seen a significant increase in traffic. From one or two people per day, to regularly getting 200 to 300 people. Peak traffic came last month when I had a picture featured on flickr's blog. I have over 1000 hits that day. This traffic has been translating into visitors to my websites. Flickr is certainly worth your attention.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's fantastic. I'm actually curious to see your stuff now.

I did the dame as you about a year ago, completely reorganised my stuff, added them to groups and created tags etc and noticed an increase. Tagging is incredibly important if you want people to find your stuff. I took a photo at Toronto Zoo with just a simple point and shoot camera. I originally ignored that photo until recently when I came across it. I submitted it to flickr, tagged it and went about my business. Within a week the photo got invited to a group, and just recently (as mentioned earlier in this topic) was included as one of the photos for Toronto Zoo entry in the shmap Tour guide.

Now, if only Getty would just get in touch!
  • Rincewind
  • Loc: Glasgow, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB, can't post a link cause of forum rules but my flickr username is Rincewind42 if you search for flickr members. Then you'll find my stuff.

Letting the game away here but, groups are very very important. Most of my visitors come via groups rather than through search. Also the groups have RSS feeds that many people subscribe to. Google also reads the group RSS feeds. The RSS feeds do not contain the nofollow tags that are on the main flickr site links. Thus google finds backlinks to your sites via the RSS feed via the groups.

Since most groups throttle the number of pics you can add at a time, I have written a script using Flickr API that submits a fresh selection of images to each relevant group each day.

You don't need to wait for Getty to find you. You can send a portfolio of 10 pics to the flickr group "Getty Images Call for Artists." and if good enough, they will pick you up.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good advice. Thanks for that. I'll check out your photographs later on.
  • lewisa
  • Born
  • Born
  • lewisa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, when an individual sends them a picture, she guaranteed that her picture would not be published without his consent?!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts