Photo in flickr

  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I asked this before, indirectly.

Craig has solved my question But i'm just curious with this as to how they hid the camera type, intentionally or not?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/olivestar/2444069339/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8409
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know how they did it but the image is gif... you probably know that but I just decided to mention it... Maybe it was requested and the people who own the site did that for him/her?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2194
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

They gather the information from the embedded EXIF data in the file.
No EXIF = no camera info.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8409
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
They gather the information from the embedded EXIF data in the file.
No EXIF = no camera info.

Then the image must have being created or something...
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8742
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, to have a photo not showing exif data all you need to do (if you use Photoshop) is "save for web and devices" instead of the "save as" option.

By just doing the "save for web and devices" all you are doing is saving the basic format of the file. If you selected the "save as" option more data from the file is being saved, one of the main pieces of data on photos that are saved is the EXIF data. You'll notice that all .jpg files saved from the "save as" option are larger than those saved through the "save for web and devices" option.

I did actually leave a post stating pretty much all of that when you asked it originally George.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, really Craig? Ah I must have missed that one out. Thanks...I just curious, and mmmmm, maybe future I'd like some of mine to save as web....

Thanks Everyone :)
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8742
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Again, i just don't know why you would like that data removed. As far as i'm aware the EXIF data is as important to the photo as the actual image itself.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6230
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

true, it's like having a "no-right-click" script ...

only reason I do it is for images that I'm going to use on a website where I'd want to optimize for speed ...
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2194
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
No, to have a photo not showing exif data all you need to do (if you use Photoshop) is "save for web and devices" instead of the "save as" option.

By just doing the "save for web and devices" all you are doing is saving the basic format of the file. If you selected the "save as" option more data from the file is being saved, one of the main pieces of data on photos that are saved is the EXIF data. You'll notice that all .jpg files saved from the "save as" option are larger than those saved through the "save for web and devices" option.


Not entirely true. I mean sure the EXIF gets stripped in save for web, but it also creates a standardized sRGB palette that's safe to display in all browsers so you don't get crazy colours.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8742
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the sRGB palette is optional. By default if i recall correctly Photoshop doesn't actually have this selected. I had to go to Edit>Convert to Profile in order to get sRGB enabled in Save as.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not hiding, Craig. I just want to create for some pics only to look more intriguing.

I'm quite sure the first post in here link to a very nice shot, am i right? it's kinda mystery and beautiful couple photo....
  • Silver
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 27
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm I think they edited the image after ... If you convert it to GIF using photoshop it won't show EXIF data anymore..
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Posts: 2209
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

O, really Silver..Thanks.
  • SB
  • Moderator
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 8742
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don't ever convert a photograph to GIF.

GIF is better used on graphics with text for example. JPG/JPEG or PNG are the two main file formats you should use for Photographs. If you use GIF then you tend to get a noticeably poor quality photograph - you don't want that.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2194
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The GIF format as SB said is considerably worse for a photo - by its very nature, GIF limits the palette to 256 colours. You may be able to squeeze out a decent looking b&w photo, but your colour pictures are going to look like sh*t.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Posts: 8409
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Don't ever convert a photograph to GIF.

GIF is better used on graphics with text for example. JPG/JPEG or PNG are the two main file formats you should use for Photographs. If you use GIF then you tend to get a noticeably poor quality photograph - you don't want that.

I agree here :)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.