If a picture paints a thousand words...

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no photograph to post. There won't be. There isn't a photograph to describe what I've just experienced this last half hour. Instead I'll make my grandest attempt to depict it in a thousand words.

Have you ever experienced or been through a hurricane? I have. I lived in Florida. The first time I ever had a glimpse of the ocean was immediately after a tropical storm working its way beyond Ft. Lauderdale. The waves were still at least 5 feet high and the salt air engulfed my senses with a smell that was beyond belief. By good fortune I spent the night at a brand new hotel next to an exquisite marina and woke up at sunrise the next day.

I walked to the ocean as rapidly as I could upon awakening and ventured to the same spot I claimed as my own the prior evening and all I saw was a sea of glass. Completely calm. Only the hint of waves. I was overwhelmed by the night and day contrast. But the smell. That salt air smell was still there. It's a smell I'll never forget, and it is the smallest portion of why I remembered this this most beautiful evening.

A hurricane can be painful, devastating, but tonight, to me, Ike is beautiful! I guess you have to have lived near the ocean to really appreciate it. I have, but haven't for the last 12 years. I haven't experienced the pleasure of salt air or the feel of sand under my toes and kicking up sand crabs in at least that long. But I still remember it. I'll never forget it. I want to experience it again.

Tonight is the closest I've come in ten years or more. And here I am in my little "nest" just slightly north of Pittsburgh ( Go Steelers -- sorry couldn't resist). Outside my patio are two 50-plus-year-old pine trees that surround my 16 stairs that descend to an unkept street. Very ugly on a bad day, but when the time is right I can lie back in my patio chair, and if the moon is full and I catch the moment, the moon is at the apex of the pines as I relax and look up from my chair.

Tonight the view was so much better. Tonight I saw a hurricane. Well, I saw Ike...the remnants. The clouds started as layers that I recognized as the outskirts of the storm. Gradually the wind has picked up, and with each increase in the balmy breeze I smell the smell I've so missed for years. That long lost smell of the sea. I know, it sounds strange. I'm half a continent away from where Ike made landfall. What drugs am I on that I can smell salt air this far inland? But I'm telling you I can. I do. And I am once again in love with the sea.

Are you in love with something? Something/someone that you'll never forget? This is what I am in love with. This moment. This smell. This feeling. This picture that I can't take to show you. And this picture that I can only describe in words. I don't know if I've made a thousand words. Honestly I don't care. I only hope that I've painted the picture as vividly as I see it in real life.

Enjoy.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very well described and i am imagining it right now in my head. I think it's very bizarre that you experienced this mainly because i always thought Pittsburgh was towards the north of America whereas Ike hit the south a few days ago. My brother has a "Scottish Festival" this weekend in Tulsa, OK and he's having problems because of the weather, maybe he can smell the smell you are talking about.

Unfortunately, and i think this is kinda sad, what you appreciate so much is something i can't appreciate due to how common the above is to me. The only thing about it is i don't often see Hurricanes, infact the closes to a hurricane i've experienced was the Catagory 3 type storm weather we had off the west coast of Scotland 3-4 years ago. The wind was so powerful that i didn't dare breath in to smell the smell purely through fear of suffocating :lol:.

I have a story, but i will leave it until yours receives the deserved comments it requires from other users. It sounded like a great moment Mark, thanks for sharing it!
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow. Powerful emotions, powerful words, ATNO. It must feel orgasmic experiencing that ... I feel kinda the same today, except a lot less intense, but it's good again to be outside with a warm breeze rubbing my skin, not at all like the biting cold of winter. Storms and hurricanes and cycones are much more intense though - there's a kind of energy in the atmostphere that takes a hold of you ... and you get lost in it, and you're glad that you are. I can't wait for the summer storms :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're 415 words short pal. Image

Nice though. Image
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I wrote this last night, I was just experiencing the fringe. About a half hour later the winds really picked up and started bring down trees and branches and one took down a power line just down the road and I lost power right at the start of the Steelers game. *pout*. Wind gusts were clocked as high as 67mph. With no power there was nothing to do except grill some chicken wings outside *yumm* and enjoy the remnants of the storm.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought Hurricane Ike died off when it was in Texas. I really didn't think it would ever reach your part of the US.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It reached Chicago, Kansas. (It was very weak there... doubt there was anything) but it was in my Newspaper :roll:
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

To think the hurricane season is just beginning. Kinda worrying.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are a few pics of the sky just at sunset. Still can't really depict what I was experiencing but it helps.
Attachments:
DSCN0410.JPG

Copyright 2008 ATNO Productions.

Attachments:
DSCN0411.JPG

Attachments:
DSCN0412.JPG

Attachments:
DSCN0413.JPG

Attachments:
DSCN0414.JPG

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Have you ever experienced or been through a hurricane?

I have. I lived in Columbia when Hugo came through. It was still a cat-1 when the eye went over us, so we got the full effect. I loved your description, but my one and only experience with a hurricane was completely the opposite.

The electricity was off for 7 days all of which were hot and sunny and since the storm dumped so much water on us, it was nice and muggy the whole time too. I spent the week helping friends clear away trees and debris. I've never taken so many showers in so many different places in my life. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts