Pictures

• peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know where I can obtain pictures of celebrities without crossing any copyright lines? I see lots of sights that use AP photos but how do they get those and how much do they pay for them (if they even pay at all)?

Also, in my forum there are some members who paste image urls in the forum showing images from other sites. Is this breaking any sort of copyright laws?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Except for the fact that you are making "unauthorised" use of the remote server's resources (well, bandwidth, anyway), I don't believe there's anything technically illegal about hotlinking; it's just rude. Sites who don't want people using their resources to display their images elsewhere take measures to prevent it. This is most common with services that provide free web space; for example, if you try to display an image hosted on tripod.com elsewhere, you'll generally get an "oops, can't do that!" image instead.

In response to your first question, a Google search for "license AP photo" resulted in the following:
http://www.apwideworld.com/WWP_HOME/pag ... ofuse.html

Hope it helps!

- Gita
  • peachy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the ap terms and conditions but was a little confused. I'm pretty sure that it was basically saying that if I wanted to use a picture I would have to pay. Am I right about this?
Wikipedia has some pictures that I can use as long as I refer or link to the original publisher. Or there any others like that?
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you have to pay to subscribe to the AP Photo Archive. If you want free, you can probably search for "free stock photo" to find a few places, but I have my doubts that you'll find celebrity photos in such an archive.

Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts