Problems with RAW images

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

having a problem with the pixelating on RAW images and i dont know why or how to correct this problem

• Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you mean noise? Was the image taken in low light conditions, and is this a small part of an image?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the whole image reduced for ozzu. yes it was taken at dawn and I think AXE told me how to correct this situation by increasing the ISO speed and it was set lower at 200 and i increased it to 1600 and i think it will work great the next time i try that shot. do you have any other suggestion?

mtg
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm no pro, but here's how I understand things:

If you increase your ISO rating, your low light shots will have shorter shutter times (avoiding motion blur) but more noise. A lower ISO rating will avoid noise, but shutter times will be higher.

Take the same shot at varying ISO and shutter times and compare to get a good idea.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't see this thread, so I'll nuke my post from the other thread and put it here...

---

Definitely check your settings. I don't know if the Rebels have an "Auto ISO" (the D100, D70 and Nikon DSLRs doo), but turn that off.

I rarely shoot higher than ISO400, and when I do, I definitely run it all through Noise Ninja or NeatImage.

// Quick Edit. I just ran the shot you took above through Noise Ninja. This is VERY rough, just using the Nikon D100 profiles (it'd be much better quality with the original full size image, knowing the ISO that the shot was taken at, and the body of camera), but you can see there's a big improvement here.

Yes, there's definitely some loss & degradation in some areas too, but like I said, the original full size image, and knowing the other info would produce amazing results.

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, now my reply to this one..

Quote:
increasing the ISO speed and it was set lower at 200 and i increased it to 1600

No no, you WANT ISO200 or 400. ISO1600 produces a LOT of noise.

Shoot ISO200 or 400, buy faster lenses, or lenses with IS (Image Stabilization) for Canon, VR (Vibration Reduction) for Nikon or OS (Optical Stabilization) for Sigma lenses. Then learn good holding technique to reduce vibration further.

Also, get a good tripod (some os/is/vr lenses will work with tripods, some won't, you'll have to see for yourself). You can get something fairly sturdy for around $150 or so. Something like the Bogen 3001BN legs and 3030 3-way head is a good light basic setup. I have one of those for the lighter traveling days (whcih sounds odd, but I don't have 600 bucks to spend on carbon fiber legs, heh).
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow AXE that would be a great result in improvement on the picture. is that noise nija in ps cs2? or another program? yeah your right i just bought a much better lens than that I have used to take this picture with. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=148&modelid=10510

I think that this lens will allow me to take a better picture that that lens I used to take the original picture with. the only difference is that I will have to get closer to my subject using a duck blind.

mtg
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a separate applicatino, but worth EVERY penny.

They do a "Home" version for 29 bucks, that just does 8 Bit images (well, 24Bit but 8 bits per colour per pixel).

They have a more expensive version that also works with the images that are 12/16 bits per colour per pixel (RAW files).

http://www.picturecode.com/
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

AXE

Okay I have downloaded the noise ninja and I have no clue on how to reduce the noice on the pictures. I do see what the stats are for the pictures tho and I think I can tell you that information now.

Aperture value
Date-time created
2006:01:29 03:37:00
Exposure bias
Exposure program
Exposure time
1/60 sec
F stop
Flash
Focal length
ISO speed ratings
Max aperture
Metering mode
Shutter speed
1/60 sec

these were the settings for the bird picture that i had posted

mtg
  • JustinPhilip

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also use Noise Ninja. I have found the best and easiest way is to just install the profiles for your camera. It will automatically profile your image based on your exif info and reduce the noise itself. I have yet to change the settings too much and I have good results.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

mtg131g wrote:
ISO speed ratings

As mentioned before, that's why you're getting noise. To avoid it at the shooting stage set this lower.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah Impel, I did not realize that setting until after I had posted the setting on the thread.

mtg

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts