Robert the Dog

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have been playing around with my new Nikon D80. Took this shot this morning.

Attachments:
DSC_0062.jpg

I need to work out how to set the camera up to take better shots of moving objects. But it's been fun so far! :D
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cute dog :)
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll tell you Musik, it's a really good photo. I say that not only because you've you've got the perfect looking dog but the lack of any movement is impressive on it's own right. There is only one negative and it's nothing to do with your photography, it's probably due to the settings you had and the lack of tri-pod...but the image is slightly out of focus. This could be caused though by just a fraction of a second too slow which you might have moved the camera just a slight bit.

Now, this is an impressive shot but imagine being nagged by your parent to take photos of their 1 year old hyper black dog in the murky weather we tend to have? It's not easy, nor is it fun. I've taken hundreds of photos but with no luck.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thought there was some blur SB cuz of the background. especially when you look at the wire.

i have to learn about ISO speeds and best settings for getting an acurrate shot when there is movement.

the lens are vibration reduction so hopefully this will help too

loads to learn i want to get it learnt before i head to zambia in september.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You like talking about Zambia don't you? you know, every time you talk about it i sort of die a bit inside through jealousy.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

heh sure sure. Yes I love talking about it, I am so excited to be going to see the school and the kids we support financially :D

i just really want to at least somewhat master the camera so i can get loads of great pictures to bring back
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like to see a very similar shot but with some direct sunlight on at least part of Robert. I think it would really show off that beautiful fir and perhaps add some life to his eyes. I think the eyes are too dark. Overall I think the shot is composed well though. Always hard to catch any animal at just that right moment.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Always hard to catch any animal at just that right moment.

Says the guy who just recently shared with us several fantastic zoo shots :|
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol Never said those were easy. Ever feel how heavy a 300mm lens is? Try to keep that bad boy steady without a tripod zoomed in all the way and in focus while waiting for the "perfect" shot.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now your just showing off.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol No this is showing off

*sorry rose* end of thread hijack. *lol
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a 300mm, so i'm aware of how heavy it can be by the way.

Might be an idea for Rose to purchase one of these before she heads of to Zambia (*sigh*).

I bought mine from Ted's Photography (or some company named that) in Australia for about $250. Totally worth the purchase.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hijack away i dont mind digressions!! :D :D

Mine only goes upto 200mm.

I'm going to see if the other lens I have from my regular camera will work on my Nikon even if I need a mount.

One of them is a macro lens.

I'm so sad because now we are coming into winter and its not the best time to get out and practice.

Can anyone recommend a good website for learning about photography? I have googled some but sometimes people know of some little gems :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never looked into photo instruction sites per se, but check this out http://www.photosapien.net/

It used to be Axe's but his former partner saved, rebuilt the place, and took over when Axe poofed on everyone. It's not very active, but they are very good and quite capable of answering your questions.

Read the registration process carefully. It requires approval by John's former partner. I'm a member there but don't frequent the place much. I really should. Very talented people there.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already tried there many moons ago. I got eaten up for being a newbie and never went back..

If I can't find somewhere online I'll prolly just buy a book. I want to do a course but there are none close by they are all towards the city. Doh.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this google search. I read through a few of the links. You can find usefull info

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ho ... tnG=Search
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Atno :D
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
I'm so sad because now we are coming into winter and its not the best time to get out and practice.

I'm about to go into my second summer of the year :lol:

Actually, it'll be my third but i don't think the summer last year in Scotland was actually credible.

:D
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:

Where I am, there's snow on the ground roughly 8 months of the year. I had to learn in winter :)
The most challenging part is learning how to expose photos so as to not wash out the highlights and shadows in the white of the snow, not that you'll have as much to worry about down there :P
I can post a few pictures from my first actual outing if you want, all via winter :)
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes! Post away!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts