Secret Garden

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Secret Garden

After weeks later I've put up on Flickr, I received 0 views. I wonder what could be the reason? Is it too Dark??

Constructive comments urgently needed.

Thank you,

:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

to be honest, I don't enjoy it that much, the banner on the pole on the left hand side gives away that it isn't in some excellent "secret" location ... and then also the water seems dirty, but I think that's because of the colour of the lights ...
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I ditto what RT has said ... also, there's no real point of interest above everything else; one is not required in all images but it's hard to make one without a point of interest work.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Besides of the Focal point, and Framing, and the dirty Water -- Yes in fact it was a bit dirty.

What do you think of the light I used? How would you make it better if you were me at exactly the same shot? -- Things like ISO, Night adjustment which is something I'm new with.

Thanks a million.

Thanks to you, R_T and Breeze.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The temperature seems a bit high, probably the white balance ... needs to be cooler. Auto white balance is okay for some things but I don't like it. In fact, I think it's evil. Learn to do things manually, and then you can call yourself a photographer. Remember, the camera can't read your mind and doesn't know what you want unless you tell it.

ISO is very high (1600! :shock:) - generally I don't go above 400 ISO, especially for night shots ... instead invest in a tripod (you can get some really cheap ones off eBay that do a fine job) and do some long exposures with those sexy large apertures (larger apertures means a smaller hole for light to come through, and also increases the depth of field, makeing more things sharper).

Also, it would be better not to shoot in complete darkness ... try it when there's still a bit of light in the sky but it's getting dark ... clouds would also be a welcome addition to the empty sky.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The temperature in Malaysia is never low. I guess you're right in many aspects you were saying. Will improve based on it the next time. Thanks a lot, man.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
The temperature in Malaysia is never low.

Forgive me for chuckling George, but he didn't mean the physical temperature. He meant the color temperature.

For the record, I find it extremely difficult to take a really good night shot. As a novice at night photography I didn't think it was all that bad, but it's not really an outstanding photo. At the moment I don't have suggestions for improving it. UNFLUX is the one here that seems to be adept at night photography.

I would really like to see the same shot during the day. I think you would capture the "secret garden" part of your idea a bit better with the day shot.

Unfortunately, there are so many things that are so soul capturing that we see at night, but so hard to capture on film/photography
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
George L. wrote:
The temperature in Malaysia is never low.

Forgive me for chuckling George, but he didn't mean the physical temperature. He meant the color temperature.

For the record, I find it extremely difficult to take a really good night shot. As a novice at night photography I didn't think it was all that bad, but it's not really an outstanding photo. At the moment I don't have suggestions for improving it. UNFLUX is the one here that seems to be adept at night photography.

I would really like to see the same shot during the day. I think you would capture the "secret garden" part of your idea a bit better with the day shot.

Unfortunately, there are so many things that are so soul capturing that we see at night, but so hard to capture on film/photography

I like to think i'm not all that shabby too with night photography. Infact, it's the only time of the day i really enjoy taking photographs so it's good to see the nights are getting longer here! :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have taken some good ones craig. Wouldn't mind seeing you do more.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will do sometime soon. Just really not been as motivated to do photography recently as i should be. It kinda bugs me because ever since i bought that 40D back in April i've only taken about 1500 photos on it which isn't really all that much when you consider the cost of the camera.

As you might have noticed, i'm back living in Edinburgh which is an amazing city both during the day and night so i'm definitely getting back into the photography while i'm here. I love it.

Not to go entirely off topic, i do want to give a little bit of credit to George. Whilst the photograph was not the best, it certainly wasn't the worst and i can see a great deal of improvement in the composition from when you first started. It's nice to see the advice was taken and worked on and i'm glad you have found Ozzu to be helpful in providing the advice you hope for George!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agree the composition was good. The camera settings were just off
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

For what it's worth I actually like the path of houses. With a bit more levels adjusting and contrast it could be great :)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

It's Okay Mark, Thanks a lot for correcting my misunderstanding. I didn't know even color has temperature. I guess it should be the White balance.

ATNO/TW wrote:
For the record, I find it extremely difficult to take a really good night shot. As a novice at night photography I didn't think it was all that bad,

THANKS soo much. That made me feel better about myself. I spent an hour and a little more at the Park at about 5AM with my father. There are more pictures but I have difficulties sorting out which are the nicer ones.

ATNO/TW wrote:

Thankssss.. again for your Idea. Yeah, I agree I should do in the day. But I was thinking Secret Garden should be some place untouched or unknown. If in the day, there are going to be joggers. I will figure out a way.

ATNO/TW wrote:

I 100% nod my head for this sentence.

SB wrote:
Not to go entirely off topic, i do want to give a little bit of credit to George. Whilst the photograph was not the best, it certainly wasn't the worst and i can see a great deal of improvement in the composition from when you first started. It's nice to see the advice was taken and worked on and i'm glad you have found Ozzu to be helpful in providing the advice you hope for George!

ThanksSS so Much. You made my night better now. Yeah, I read the advice given by you, Mark, Neksus,...and others quite literally. Craig, thanks. I thought I was getting worse or nowhere, until you and Mark who have previously seen my work gave some comments about it, it's meaningful. I am waiting to see some more of yours night shots. :)

neksus wrote:
For what it's worth I actually like the path of houses. With a bit more levels adjusting and contrast it could be great :)

ThankSS, neksus, actually I made a blunder mistake, the top right edge of the picture -- there is some darkness which was the sun shield for my lens, I should have turned it tighter so it won't be captured together with the picture. :)
Are we still playing with the Park shots? Take your time if you're busy... :)

Thank you very much, Mark, Craig and Neksus,
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't had much free time to get to an actual park lately - my weekdays are full with school and my nights with taking care of the son and homework. My campus is kind of park-like - I suppose I could take pictures their?
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure, Neksus, just Take your time, as I too am a bit busy with school-daytime and websites-nighttime.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts