self-portrait- Tips?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had tried self portrait this afternoon time-snapping about 70 photos of me, myself and turned out to be quite a disaster.

The focus is in the middle!? and I tried applying rule of third by appearing infront of the camera every 1/3 of the corner; perspiring hard. (whew)

and it turned out that I've always been the background of the photograph!?!

I set my camera to Manual, lens auto, that's it. The thing is using time-snapping, it will never start to beep if it doesn't find a focus point, so I had to flow with it. Turned out bad.

Advice? please :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you using a tripod? If so, are you using a remote for the camera?

Both are very useful tools if you want to do self portraits.

Also, what settings are you using in the Manual setting. The aperture, exposure etc etc?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, what do you mean the focus is in the middle? If you've got it set to manual focus, simply prop something where you'll be sitting, focus on that, then voila!
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
Are you using a tripod?

Yes.
SB wrote:
If so, are you using a remote for the camera?

remote?, No. never heard of it.
SB wrote:
Also, what settings are you using in the Manual setting. The aperture, exposure etc etc?

I set to M. f5.6 or something, and shuttle speed 35 something. ISO (didn't take note)
neksus wrote:
Also, what do you mean the focus is in the middle? If you've got it set to manual focus, simply prop something where you'll be sitting, focus on that, then voila!

Manual focus. Ok, this is the focus subject. I've set it to manual. But my lense is in auto (if you get what I mean). As I focus at one thing, like you said an object, not necessarily I can do it as I want it, usually I'm not allowed to choose the focus point. How can I make so I can adjust to whatever angle I want to focus? I know this is alot to ask, I'd of course spend more time on it, but any tips will be really appreciated. :)
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got one here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26214166@N05/2702463249/
Decided to display so I could receive constructive feedbacks.

The settings I used are in the (more properties) section. This is one of the 73 shots I'd taken of myself with a tripod, moving up and down from and away the camera, (whew).

I'm still learning to take more of self-portrait to improve, I know that photo didn't do well but I'd decided to just publish on flickr so i remember what I did and think how to improve. That was one of the 'most ok' one for display I think.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, it's alot easier to pass comment when there is something visual rather than a description.

The camera is focusing on what it sees as the most important part of the photograph. Your actual face is very small and unimportant to the autofocus you've set on the lens, so it sees the backdrop as the area for focusing, hence why your face is out of focus.

I'm not completely sure what you are hoping to show with the background, however maybe someday you should shoot the furniture you have on it's own in B&W as honestly i think it looks pretty good. Not as a self portrait though. What you should be doing in the portraiture is showing as much of you as possible, there should be very little background in the image and your face should really be taking up at least two thirds of the photograph.

When i say your face, i mean to add that ideally if i were to do a self portrait i know i'd probably do something like show my shoulders or the upper part of my body. From a modeling point of view, you look pretty uncomfortable. You look like someone has just snapped you unprepared to have your photo taken, ideally you want to sit there and enjoy the moment. Just relax etc etc.

This brings me onto that "Remote" i was talking about before. Go to a local camera supply store or check out ebay for a remote for your Nikon. The remote is exactly that, a remote control for the camera. The remote control can do many things, however the most important feature of it is the fact you would be able to shoot your camera from a distance, so there would be no need to go reach to the camera and have your photo with the arm leading to the lens like you sort of have in the linked photo. Alternatively, play about with the timer you have on the camera. I'm not 100% sure if Nikon have it on their cameras (albeit i'd be surprised if it didn't) but you can set the shutter to go of after 5 seconds using one of the tools on the camear. What this would mean is you'd press the button on the camera and after a few seconds (you'd likely hear a beep as it's about to go off) your photo would be taken.

In the meantime, grab a seat and choose your backdrop. Check to see what will be seen in the camera through the camera viewer and then using manual focus go and focus on the chair. You probably won't have the chair in the photo, but it will give you a fairly accurate focus, rather than relying on the autofocus. An even better option is to see if a friend or family member would be willing to sit down while you focus it, that way your likely to get an even more accurate focus.

I hope this info is helpful. Any other questions and i'm sure someone here would be willing to help you out a bit further.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, Craig, I'd have to re-read this later, it's long but useful.

Thanks..
:)
  • mantonino
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mantonino
  • Loc: Syracuse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get one of these (for your camera model whatever that is)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Wireless-Remote ... .m14.l1318

Setup maybe a better background - plain wall behind you, something darker than your skin or lighter than your hair?

As far as settings, put it on P mode, take one shot. Then see that shot and if you like it, stay in P. If you hate it, adjust from the P mode settings using M or Av mode. :)
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe he uses a Nikon, but agreed none-the-less :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts