Some of my Shots ( first time, please comment )

• penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned
  • Loc: Behind you !

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.imagger.com/uploads/985523_100_0058.JPG

http://www.imagger.com/uploads/813456_100_0054.JPG
Quote:
http://www.imagger.com/uploads/206216_100_0057.JPG

The one that I quoted I have been told is good, These are my first shots so could you please comment on them all. Thank you.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Firstly - lose the timestamp. I have never, ever seen a photograph that stood out with a gross blotch of dateness stamped across it.

I don't think the one you quoted is that good - it and the one before it look like regular snapshots. The one of the mallards (?) is my favourite one technically - although it would have been nice if the birds were facing you or doing something a bit more interesting.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok thanks man, what way do people make shots good? I dont think any of them to be honest are good. It was what I was told.

I want to get better at this.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

They are not bad photos. When you consider the fact you are new at this and just learning then i'll compliment you a bit. The subject matter is pretty easy to understand for the first photo however unless you are just trying to capture the trees in the second and third then i'm not feeling anything.

When "George L" left his post regarding a few of his photos i commented on how he needs to look at the full picture and sort of plan what it is you want the viewer to see. If i am right in thinking the second photo is supposed to be that of the trees then you haven't taken the full picture. For that reason alone i can't see this as anything other than a snapshot.

In Photo one the actual capture of the birds is good, however it's the wrong capture. I was once told when taking photos you could take a film of 36 photos and you might only get one or two photos that are worth using out of it. Had you taken say 30-40 photos of the birds then you might have come up with something that just took some of the quality you see here and made it something better. But as Neksus says, the fact the birds are not looking at the camera makes this less interesting to look at.

Have you ever considered looking into buying filters? I ask this actually assuming you have an SLR camera although if i recall correctly i think you posted asking about any good SLR's the other week so i'll guess not. When you do buy an SLR camera look into buying filters for any lenses you get as they can really do good in dampening the brightness you see in photo 3.

All things considered though, i don't think they are bad photos they just aren't good. I wouldn't be disappointed with them if i was at your level of knowledge. I must stress though that you've a long way to go in photography and it only really begins when you start to play with the SLRs.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm correct in assuming you're referring to neutral density filters?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, i missed a few words out... want to sort this out outside? :lol:
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you SB. So when taking photos Is it better to just focus at on specific thing. Rather than alot of things in one photo?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on what you want.

If I were to retake that bird photo i'd have focused more on the bird and taken away some of the surrounding ground. Having two birds in a photo is alright, but again unless they are looking at you then it's just a snapshot.

I'm aware this is the Photography forum but at the moment while you are starting off i suggest you do some colour adjustment on the photos. I'd tell you what to do in Photoshop but you don't like the software for some reason so i'd be wasting my time.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should also add that you shouldn't be afraid to be experimental on the angles. Lie down and take photos, you'd be surprised at how some of them turn out.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best photos usually come from the subject's own eye level.

I generally don't do much in the way of colour correction, but I should in RAW so I always adjust my white balance and then my levels, as well as a bit of healing and occasionally some saturation.
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use both photoshop and paintshop to be honest. I just tend to use PSP more.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, to be fair if you really want to take good photos then colour correction and white balance shouldn't be considered as an after effect.

I've sometimes not even bothered considering the white balance when taking photos largely down to the time it can take to get it right. It's easier and quicker to use photoshop to adjust it, even though it's not the right way to do it.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, a few things have been covered already, but I want to drop in and offer a few things up that should help.

1) Lose the date stamp.
2) Decide what the purpose of your shot is. These shots look like you were just taking pictures to see what works. Not a bad way to start - I started the same way.
3) Pay attention to the background and foreground of your image - if these are messy it can detract from the image
4) Rule of thirds. While rules are made to be broken, start by obeying this one. You'll learn when it's appropriate to break it. If you don't know what it is wikipedia has a great explanation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Ok, on to the actual images and how you could have turned a random snapshot into a solid photograph.

#0054 - I'm assuming the tree was your focus in this one. You have ducks in the foreground and people in the background. I would have run at the ducks to scare them away, then shot with my camera close to the ground pointing up to get the top of the tree just barely in frame. This would have eliminated the people in the background most likely. Alternatively you could wait until they move out of the background, then snap the picture.

#0057 - The rule of thirds would make a world of difference on this one. I'd put the sun on my left third line, and in the middle vertically. This would have made the tree with no leaves have a nice profile against the sky.

#0058 - It's already been said, but a duck facing you would have made this a lot better. Other compositional notes - the glare off the water behind the left duck makes for a messy background. With the duck facing me I would have tried to get closer or zoom in, depending on your camera/lens capability. If you're using an SLR I would have set the aperture wide open (preferrably 2.8, or even 1.8 if your lens goes that open), and the background would have a nice bokeh (blur), which makes for a very pleasant photograph of a duck.

Not trying to bash, just trying to offer constructive advice. What camera and lens are you shooting with?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like the advice given there "Ishii the Second".
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Regarding white balance-
I shoot in raw and never pay attention to the white balance when I'm taking the photo. I use Lightroom to adjust in post. When you're shooting raw you're recording the raw data from the sensor, and the white balance the camera thought was appropriate at the time, or if you have it set, it'll record your setting. When you adjust in Lightroom (or equivalent RAW processor), you're changing the white balance setting and applying it to your the raw data from the camera. It is just as accurate in post as it would be if you spent time fiddling with it on your shoot.

If you're shooting JPEG... that's a different story.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I quite like the advice given there "Ishii the Second".

• neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

RAW +1 :)
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help guys, This is awsome. One more thing. Is there anything specific I shout take pictures of to learn how to improve my skills.

I dont know if this is a silly question?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take pictures of anything you like. I wouldn't recommend anything.

Obviously still life is better to start off on, even if it's just a bowl of fruit or something. It's easier to take photos of still life rather than trying to learn off of moving things (obviously).
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah I get you man. Ok well I will practice on still objects. And mabye post them, Would you guys review them again if I got a few new shots?

- Thanks
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Always :D
  • penguin
  • Flying penguins
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you guys.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll comment if i get the time. I make no promises.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts