Study this...hmmm

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/claudiomar ... otostream/

This guy is amazing. Did he use software to change the color? I saw it's picasa, Does that mean it's modified? from the original. I doubt with normal photographing can get this type. Correct me if i'm wrong. Hope I'm wrong. He's using only a 8MP camera and mine is more...

I feel so damn useless now.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe he was lucky enough to catch the sun at the proper angle but I spend a lot of time at the beach and I've never seen a color like that in a wave. If he changed it himself, he killed the photo.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, Agreed, Don.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I must have missed something, what exactly am I looking for ? :scratchhead:
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

:D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:

The way the light is shining on that one small bit of the wave but not on anything else in the photo. It's as if there was a beam of light peaking through the clouds shining on that little bit. It's certainly possible and i don't doubt it is genuine.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Her left shoes is moving fast I guess. And I actually don't understand why ppl keep saying focusing on 1 point in a good/ normal photograph, Isn't seeing the whole picture is the main point?

I also think that the weather at that time was going to rain, and the sun is just shining partially, and the rain might not come, or it just go dark like normal into the evening...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Focusing on the subject is referred to as focal point. Every good photo needs a good focal point.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
joebert wrote:

The way the light is shining on that one small bit of the wave but not on anything else in the photo. It's as if there was a beam of light peaking through the clouds shining on that little bit. It's certainly possible and i don't doubt it is genuine.

Oh ok.
That's probably why I didn't notice it, stuff like that happens here in Florida all the time.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that is very possible ... The sun could go all the way to the right, there just isn't foam to that side of the picture, but I am sure if the picture had been wider, the foam to the right hand side of it would've also been that colour ...

@George: what about her foot are you talking about, it seems to me like she's just walking, and that is where her foot should be at at that moment ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

R_T, yes you're right I was just making some description about that woman walking and all else in the pic looks still, except her left shoe has this motion look, I think she and the dog were walking quite fast?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That dog doesn't look like he can go very fast. I'll ask my brother about the color in the wave. He'll be able to tell me if the photo was altered.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
That dog doesn't look like he can go very fast.

Lol
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just as an honest by the way comment, i'm not that big a fan of the photo.

Other than the light, it's just doing nothing to me. The woman and dog is too small for the rest of the photo. Had it been closer and the wave still that light then it would be a million times better.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm quite the opposite Craig. I have no trouble loving small human photos with large background. Nor I have any trouble liking large human portrait with little background. I think it was perfect shot. I like the little trash( can? ) on the sand of the beach. And I really like the still horizontal ocean abit grey sky, composing all the other angles. Especially I like the colors this guy made. I'd really appreciate if any of you could share if knows how to make this kind of color, originally.

Like what you used to say, the distance makes me appreciate the dog and the woman more.

I can't get enough looking at the photo every now and then. I'm not sure if I can get that kind of photograph if I was in the same situation. I thihnk he must have measured some time before taking each shot.

Or maybe I'm too novice and can't tell between a great photo with a good photo.

Sorry then...
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's nothing terribly special about this photo. Actually I think it is just another picture.

You have most of the frame in the shade at one color temperature (7000K or so), and you have a beam of light blasting through and hitting a part of the wave at maybe 5000K, and you end up with a blue frame with a blast of yellow because the camera picked a color balance in the middle that doesn't work for either color temperature.

This definitely isn't one of my best photographs, but this is how you take a picture with shade and sun-

http://proofs.staticfreephoto.com/p583335511/?photo=h193A3F60#423247712
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a better example of the same type of photo. Landscape with people in the shade.

http://proofs.staticfreephoto.com/p583335511/?photo=h04CE69A1#80636321
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I asked my brother, who is an outdated photographer, about the color on the wave. The sky is overcast, so there would have to have been a slight break in the clouds for the color to be natural. He doesn't think the color was added but can't say for sure.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ishii, Thanks for the links. Pretty much it. But I still think there's something else. It could be this guy is pretty good at color-matching.

I found that the color of the sand = sky

woman's shirt = waves

And it's being taken so naturally, could it be a make-up i.e. he knows her and asked her to walk along while he takes the photo?

If you look at his other photos, you will know what I mean, There are many others where he made the photo looks as if it has been through photoshop. Especially his Explorer archives:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/claudiomar ... 379353611/

Thanks, Don.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know... I'm just not a fan. What I'm seeing are snapshots rather than photographs. I don't see anything that requires any creativity or photographic expertise.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Links broken :(
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's weird... this link should work, not sure why it changed.

http://proofs.staticfreephoto.com/p583335511/?photo=h04CE69A1#80636321

edit: actually it didn't change. Didn't work for me when I tried it, then it started working again. Hrmph.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts