• Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Out with your 40D are we? :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm wondering what are the ISO speed capabilities? Understand that I'm old schooled and developed film in college, but am kinda clueless on today's digital technologies, but I'm wondering if you doubled the ISO speed to say 1600 what it would have turned out like (if that's even possible). In class we called that "pushing" if I recall correctly. i.e. use a 400 ISO film and "push" it in developing to 800.

Basically at ISO 800 I think the image is too dark, bland, and lacks interest. I think you probably got a great shot at the right moment, but I don't think you gave it justice.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 40d can push the ISO up quite abit before the grain really starts to take an effect.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page18.asp

More Info

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting. Would have been nice to see that shot at 1600 or 3200
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you guys ever expose/shoot to the right? My cameras are almost always set at +2/3 or +1 stop exposure settings - I find it much easier to control highlights and shadows this way in PP.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have sooo much to learn about photography!! You guys are talking another language! :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think i took this shot in different ISO's, i'll go see if i did take one at 3200 (the highest ISO the 40D can do) and i'll link it.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is another...

Click for a larger version

Exif info
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK! I like that one much better.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure how much difference the ISO is making, though. I think I just like the composition more in the most recent one :)
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I shoot at 1600 ISO on my 30D all the time. As long as you're properly exposing the shot noise is really not an issue, and the 40D is even better.

For ATNO/TW - he was shooting in aperture priority, which caused the camera to set the shutter speed to expose the image to what it thinks is a proper amount. Bump the ISO up, camera leaves the shutter open less, ultimately you won't see much (or any) difference no matter what ISO you shoot at.

I actually prefer the first shot over the second shot.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

See, i was undecided on the two. I like them both, but as for a favourite i'm not sure. I understand why people would like the second as you see a bit of the moon and a star in the far top left but the first one i'm quite pleased with just how eerie it looks.

Both photographs are actually more out of focus than i'd have liked. It was just too dark to really see what the focus was like. Even if i was to choose the "auto-focus" the camera wouldn't have picked anything up due to how dark it was. These are all on 10 second exposures, so the moon is actually lighting the sky up a bit with the exposure.

I was more or less just playing about with the camera on the night i took these. They are so-so pictures, although i know i can do better.

Thank you all for the comments.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

And taken on the same night just to see what my telefoto lens zoom capabilities were...

Click for a larger version

Exif info

I'd always wanted to do a moon shot but never really had the equipment to get a good view of it. I still don't. A better lens that would provide a better zoom is on the "to buy" list, any recommendations?
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

drool!! still a good shot SB :D
you know im going to be pestering u guys with all my silly questions when i get my cam but you mustnt be mean and laugh at me :P
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aww. You've just taken away any fun we'd be having then. Why is it we can't be mean and laugh at you again? :wink:
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

She said about the camera. Everything else is still fair game :)

As far as your new telephoto goes, is there anything specific you're looking for? Just because I like to get good value out of lenses and telephoto isn't a main priority, have you considered purchasing a 1.4x or 2.0x magnifier? Sure they stop down your lenses (1 full stop for the 1.4 and 2 for the 2.0), but they're a hell of a lot cheaper than a 600mm f/4L IS.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts