Tips for Sports Photography

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have several subscriptions from C/NET and had this in email today. Thought I'd share this article on Tips for Sports Photography

1. Test it
2. It's all about pre-focus
3. Lower your format
4. Size up your memory
5. Don't be flashy
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I bought my point-n-shoot camera, there was a guy from Fuji in the Bestbuy for some sort of sale and he was telling me something about the camera I was buying being good for indoor sports and events because it had a glass lense instead of a plastic one and that meant I wouldn't get a "yellow tint" in my photos from the type of lighting they use indoors.

It made no difference in my decision since I was going to buy the camera anyway & more or less wanted the guy to leave me alone so I actually get around to buying it & get out of there, but what he told me about lenses and lighting was kinda interesting.

Is there any truth to that you think ?
the guy was a Fuji representitive and I just happened to be buying a Fuji camera.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not an ounce.

I made a living selling cameras for two years and still keep up-to-date on current technologies and tons of discussions.

I don't know how long ago you bought your camera, but they all have glass or crystal-coated (high quality European glass being superior) lenses unless you cheap out on something from XS cargo or the like for ~$40.

Even then, clear plastic wouldn't tint the photo yellow. The reason you'd get the yellow tint is most likely because the automatic computing going on behind that crappy plastic lens doesn't know the type of ambient light.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I'll admit that i did start to wonder what a Fijian guy being in BestBuy had to do with the point you were making...that was until of course i re-read.

:oops:
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
:lol:

I'll admit that i did start to wonder what a Fijian guy being in BestBuy had to do with the point you were making...that was until of course i re-read.

:oops:

lol

Regarding lenses... a general rule of thumb is to buy the point and shoot camera with the biggest lens in physical size that you can afford. I highly recommend the Canon Powershot line right now.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or the biggest physical sensor :)
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
Or the biggest physical sensor :)

Those tend to go together, but if you put a huge sensor behind a tiny lens it's not going to do too hot. The other way around tends to work better.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point :P
  • hFry
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

eliminate #3 from the list of Image quality.

if your using a DSLR. its not useful to downsize your image. its all digital info, that is determined and stored after the Photo is taken... It wont slow down your Camera substantially depending on what mode your shooting in. If you shoot in automatic and your not manually determining your F/ WB or ISO etc. then yeah.. you do as you want but.. Reducing the File/Image size isn't necessary. buy a fast lens. a Camera with 5 fps+ And your golden. Shoot RAW and Full Image size. + a nice 4gb card or two.

Canon 30D-40D-5D...
+
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
+
Manfroto Bogen Unipod!
=
perfect sports photography package.

nikons are like the Devil....
kidding^^
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many dSLRs have a set buffer - generally hovering around the 9 RAW image mark unless you opt for a prosumer+ model.
  • mantonino
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mantonino
  • Loc: Syracuse

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're going to be doing any "serious" sports shooting, also hit up SportsShooter - by far the most well known and best authority on shooting those action type dealies. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts