Training my composition

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

How's this composition? Normal snapshot?
Attachments:
embrace.jpg
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

My brother is a photographer and he said that the composition is good. "There is not much you can do with a car"
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, your brother should join here sometime.

I'd agree. It's not a bad composition.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that the quality of the photo is quite good. Good color, good contrast, good lighting and depth of field.

Not certain I'd agree with the composition. I guess it just depends on what exactly you were trying to take a picture of. To my eyes, I think the front bumper is too close to the right edge of the picture, I don't like the way the back of the car is cut off. That bluish thing that looks like it may be some sort of a mail box sticking up behind the middle of the hood bothers me, because now I want to know what it is and I can't tell. The gate that looks like an entrance to a foyer or carport, looks like it might be really nice, but too little of it is shown to be able to tell. Also looks like a nice house and foliage in the background but too little of it to see. And there's really no "good" focal point.

If you were trying to focus on the car as the subject, I think I'd suggest stepping back a bit and get about 3 or 4 steps up on a ladder and take a full shot of the car and get more of the background in the picture. (sort of a "frame" for the car). Getting up a little higher than the car will also add a more 3 dimensional look to the shot. I think you'd have a much better picture if you tried something like that.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

That blue thing looks like a power box to me ... those that you see in the street.

And I think ATNO is right ... a view from a bit higher would already make a big difference ...
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
If you were trying to focus on the car as the subject, I think I'd suggest stepping back a bit and get about 3 or 4 steps up on a ladder and take a full shot of the car and get more of the background in the picture. (sort of a "frame" for the car). Getting up a little higher than the car will also add a more 3 dimensional look to the shot. I think you'd have a much better picture if you tried something like that.

I mostly agree with this part of your post. There are other bits that i'd have a different opinion on but it might be that i just don't seem to understand where you are coming from.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
My brother is a photographer and he said that the composition is good. "There is not much you can do with a car"

I envy your relationship with your brother, Don. Me and my brother don't talk. Really good to hear your brother's comments. :)
SB wrote:
I'd agree. It's not a bad composition.

Thanks, Craig
Actually I think I'm going to google search what exactly does it mean by composition in photography, because from what I know it has to be something like the picture has good framing with good backgrounds, matching angles....etc.

ATNO/TW wrote:
I think that the quality of the photo is quite good. Good color, good contrast, good lighting and depth of field.

Not certain I'd agree with the composition. I guess it just depends on what exactly you were trying to take a picture of. To my eyes, I think the front bumper is too close to the right edge of the picture, I don't like the way the back of the car is cut off. That bluish thing that looks like it may be some sort of a mail box sticking up behind the middle of the hood bothers me, because now I want to know what it is and I can't tell. The gate that looks like an entrance to a foyer or carport, looks like it might be really nice, but too little of it is shown to be able to tell. Also looks like a nice house and foliage in the background but too little of it to see. And there's really no "good" focal point.

I am reading for the 3rd time now, Mark. I don't know what to answer to your kind comment. The blue thing is a rubbish bin from the owner of that house. I can't find which gate you're saying? It's in the front of a house. There's no port.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

carport ...
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I know what is a carport but no, there's no carport there. This house is under renovation and I was inside of the house shooting out, from my camera. It has fully built now and it isn't really a garage. Just a place to park your car (size of two) in front of the house with the gate closing. Houses here may seem and look weird to you Americans, because most of it have gates and are always closed tight.

Am i still missing some point?
Thanks R_T
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess there's only left to say what hasn't been said yet - shoot with a larger (lower number) aperture. This will blur anything behind the focal point (called bokeh) and draw your focus to your subject.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Neksus, I get what you mean but the thing is I think it has to do with a better 50mm lens? Mine I suppose is a maximum 35mm.

I have adjusted the lowest number of aperture and it can't beep to signal me to shoot I had to use a higher aperture..i'm confused now actually with High F?

:scratchhead:
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Low f = wider aperture.

The mm is the focal length, not the aperture.

If it won't focus for you, try using manual focus.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should always be using manual focus anyway. Autofocus on alot of cameras tends to be not as accurate.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Manual,...hmm I tried initially and found no luck with it, most of the pics I got was very very Blur and I thought I had no choice except Auto...

Still lot lot to learn, THanks CRaig and Neksus,

Everyone~! Thank you for posting in my training thread :)
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
You should always be using manual focus anyway. Autofocus on alot of cameras tends to be not as accurate.

I've found in bright light auto-focus tends to be dead on. Even in low light my 30D does a better job than my eye at focusing 99% of the time.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found that manual focus works better for me for macro work only. Other than that I always use center-point to focus and then re-adjust my composition.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll admit to using autofocus alot too, but i just find it to be less accurate. There was a time i was taking photographs without glasses when i needed glasses and because they tended to be out of focus i used the autofocus feature and when i look at the older photos taken with autofocus with glasses on they just look pretty poor.

I was using a Canon EOS 350D at that time though. Now with the Canon EOS 40D i can't say i've used autofocus all that much. I'll give it a shot sometime.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Was your diopter configured correctly?
Also, maybe your camera itself has front/back focusing issues. AF has always been the high point of many dSLRs.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I'll admit to using autofocus alot too, but i just find it to be less accurate. There was a time i was taking photographs without glasses when i needed glasses and because they tended to be out of focus i used the autofocus feature and when i look at the older photos taken with autofocus with glasses on they just look pretty poor.

I was using a Canon EOS 350D at that time though. Now with the Canon EOS 40D i can't say i've used autofocus all that much. I'll give it a shot sometime.

The 30D's autofocus is great except in bad lighting. Not even necessarily low light, just bad light. The 40D uses an almost identical focusing system, the exception being that the center point is more sensitive when using wide apertures. I have used the 40D but not enough to tell how it performs in bad light. The other thing that will help you is if you focus and recompose. That is, zoom in on your subject and focus, then recompose before taking the shot. On the 40D the AF ON button on the back next to your * button will become your best friend when employing this technique. On my 30D I set my custom functions to make the * button do the focusing so I can focus when I want and snap the picture when I want.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I manual focus all my still shots, but when it comes to live action I resort to the auto. Main reason I choose manual is because I can pick where I want my focus to be on my subject/object.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
I manual focus all my still shots, but when it comes to live action I resort to the auto. Main reason I choose manual is because I can pick where I want my focus to be on my subject/object.

You can also set a custom function on the 30D so the joy-knob (not really a joystick) controls the active focus point.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ishii wrote:
SpooF wrote:

You can also set a custom function on the 30D so the joy-knob (not really a joystick) controls the active focus point.

I really should read into that. I really want to start using that but can't quite figure out how to yet. It's the same with a burst of shots, i can't seem to do that outwith one of the settings (on the nob at top of camera).
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, everyone, but as I scroll down the thread, it becomes more advanced and I find it hard to follow, :(
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The advantage of this forum is if you do have any questions regarding a part of a conversation all you really need to do is ask away. So, whatever was confusing will more than likely recieve an explanation if you ask away.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts