Trying to find a Photograph and Photographer

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to find out the name of a photographer. I'll explain the famous photograph he took and the circumstances and as soon as someone recognises it i'd love to find out his name.

This photographer perhaps got famous from a photograph he took in South Africa of a 2-3 year old South African boy who was lying naked on the ground alone starving to death. Shortly after the photograph was taken the photographer felt alot of shame in what he did and eventually killed himself. He just couldn't cope with the thought that rather than helping the baby to survive he took the photograph and ultimately gained a bit of fame from it.

I'd love to find out this photographers name. If anyone can help me out i'd really appreciate it.
  • mantonino
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mantonino
  • Loc: Syracuse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kevin Carter

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's exactly the one. Thank you for the quick reply.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great photo, completely sad story. :(
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Having read more about it now that i know his name, there was a few bits of my description that were inaccurate.

Not that wikipedia is anything special, but you can read a bit more about Kevin Carter on the site.
  • mantonino
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • mantonino
  • Loc: Syracuse

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your description was pretty accurate - I saw an HBO special about Kevin Carter a year or two ago so I remembered his name. It's a very sad story - makes you wonder about his thoughts then...it's sad.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do realize that this is sad, but photos like that make people think our country is poor and pathetic ... There are cases like those in every country in the world, but for some reason the ones that are anywhere in Africa just seems worse to the rest of the world ...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Africa is mostly poor, the majority of the country live in poverty... there is no social welfare...
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Put it this way..... in Australia there is no situation like Africa, unless its at the hands of cruel parents, in which case they would be breaking the law allowing their child to get in that state and the goverment would take the child from them.

We have free health care here, financial welfare if you are unemployed or too sick to work...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah I see, I get it ... I never knew you had free healthcare ... that's really neat.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts