What camera should I buy? Please help!

• loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really need some advise. I have developed a website and am uploading photos but the quality is terrible! I have a Kodak DX7630 6.1 Mega Pixel camera that has been great for family pictures, etc. The problem I am having is shirt pictures. They're very grainy and poor quality. Any advise as to an affordable camera for the shirt and accessories photos? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your camera really is 6.1 MP I really don't see how your photos could look that bad ... I mean there could be many other factors besides the camera ... light, and then do you take pictures on automatic mode or on manual mode ... ?
  • loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take the photos outdoors in the sunlight. I keep the camera on auto mode. Did you see the pictures on the site? I have hundreds of great, clear photos of everything else but the shirts look terrible! We are about to do an orgainized photo shoot next weekend and I don't want to waste the time and money on poor quality photos!
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only reason they could be appearing grainy is if the light is poor on the shirts or you are uploading them as a .gif file formate. Photographs should never be saved as .gifs.

Can you link one specific example of a grainy shirt? i don't really have alot of time to search through your site to see what you mean and would like to help more. The information you've provided is okay, however it's hard to get a clear idea on what the problem is without an example.
  • loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried to add an image but am not sure how to. If you click the link on my signiture it will bring you to my home page and one example is right there. I really appreciate the help from you guys. Thank you.
  • loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update! I have played around with the camera some more and think I found the problem. The pictures look great while viewing on the Kodak software, but they're HUGE. When I go to Microsoft photo editor and reduce the size the pictures turn bad! I could not find a resize area in the Kodak software, or on the camera. Is there a different way to handle the re-size?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Photoshop ... ?
  • loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

No photoshop, yet! I'm hoping to find a free program to resize first. If not, I'll have to step-up to Photoshop.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

GIMP does image resizing if I recall correctly. Just not sure how well.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's worth it to someday invest in Photoshop. I don't think i'll find a photo editing softrware as good as that anywhere else. Very easy and good to edit the image sizes too.

Send me a Private message with a full size photo and i'll reduce it in Photoshop to a size you'd prefer to see if this is the cause of the problem.

You can use sites like imageshack.us to upload the image. Once you've done that send the link to me.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm assuming you're using the flash - close distance flash will inherently bring out all the little details between the stitching - something not that flattering in photos. Try lighting them with more fill light or shooting outdoors in non-direct sunlight and see what kinds of results you get.
Also, doesn't imageshack.us have a photo resizing tool during upload?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, i think imageshack does. Not sure how good it is though as i'm always using photoshop to edit image sizes.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't want to resize, you want to resample. GIMP has a great resampling tool that is accessed by going to Image->Scale Image. I use it somewhat regularly and it works very well.
  • loftgolf
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks to all your help I think I've resolved the picture quality problems. I really appreciate all you valued input. I hope I can help others in the future!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts