What Digital Camera?

• zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first digital camera recently got stolen from my shop, I now have to look for a decent one. The first one i had was a sony T1 which is probably the worst camera in the world. I need something that can take good images to put on my website mainly for clothing and books. What is SLR? What camera would you recommend? My budget is under £500.
I also need guidance on how to take pictures of dresses on a mannequin as i always seem to get sgadows on the face or reflection on the mannequin face. I have two ligh stands with three powerful bulbs in each stand. I also have a pair of background stands in which i could attach a sheet if necessary. Would a bed sheet do or is there a special kind of material that i should be looking for?
:roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

SLR is single lense reflex. It means what you see through the view finder is what you are going to take a picture of, as opposed to regular digital cameras where you look at a small TV screen.
They work like the old style film cameras with a shutter, But without film. These are good because you are able to change lenses and filters. With £500 to spend i would definately look at getting a digital SLR.

A google search should probably throw up a ton of UK sites selling digital SLR's.

This looks like a nice one
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPO-Canon_Dig ... XT_18_55mm
But definately have a look around.
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
With £500 to spend i would definately look at getting a digital SLR.

Definitely. I've found Cameraworlds service to be very good.
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been looking around and seem to like the canon EOS 350 D with 18-55 mm lens which sells for around £450.
Would you recommend this model as an entry level SLR?
There are other equivalents such as the nikon d50 which i am not really sure about.
I am also having problems phhotographing mannequins. I have 2 light stands. when i face the light stands on the mannequin there is a reflection on the face and when i face them away there is a shadow on the face.What is the solution to this?
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

zoi wrote:
I have been looking around and seem to like the canon EOS 350 D with 18-55 mm lens which sells for around £450.
Would you recommend this model as an entry level SLR?

Canons are well-liked. See this review.
  • zoi
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • zoi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Professor thank you for all your help. Would you be having any idea as to how i should go about sorting my mannequin problem?
  • Impel GD
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Impel GD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm no expert on lighting I'm afraid, but have you tried increasing the distance between the light and the mannequin to avoid the harsh reflection?
  • nukacola
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

by da way, guys, can you tell me where is the chepest online store that you know?

and could you recommend me a film camera under 200 $ (pounds)
a mechanic one or whatever.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I managed to get a good second hand Canon EOS 300 of of Amazon for around £80 a couple of months ago. If you check sites like Ebay or Amazon then you can find some bargains.

The EOS 300 is a good camera. Easy to use which is ideal for beginners and the quality of images produced have been quite good so far.
  • guitarman
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • guitarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

with less than 500 pounds, I think you can look for a 2nd hand DSLR. I got a Canon EOS10D for just around 500 US$ and under pretty good condition.

Good place to check is via ebay for 2nd hand DSLR, at least that's where i get mine from :)
  • nukacola
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, thanks. i got a brand new canon350d right now and choosing new lenses. 50 mm to start
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

nukacola wrote:
ok, thanks. i got a brand new canon350d right now and choosing new lenses. 50 mm to start

I really like the 350d. I just bought one the other month and some of the shots i have taken are pretty good when you compare it to a standard point and click camera.
  • nukacola
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
when you compare it to a standard point and click camera

hahaha.. yeah, its not for pointing & clicking.... :lol:
  • cinema88
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • cinema88

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah .. canon d350 is good, but i think that nikon d80 is better, because have 10.2MPX ccd, better body and image quality is surprise ...!
and is ideal for pointing and clicking ( have 8 automatic scenes)
its very good DSLR
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

for your mannequin problem you could soften the light in several ways. you could set up the lights behind a muslin cloth that is white in color and that will soften the light. you can get a shadow box to help soften the light. the use of softening the light as well as the use of a reflector to reflect the light to the spots that are showdowing. this will help. if you can send me a picture I will try and take a look at it and see what it is doing to help correct your problem. I have found the use of this site to be very good and helpful with lighting

http://www.photoflexlightingschool.com/index.html

I would also try and pick up any magazine and open it up to a picture and look at the highlights and shadows to see how they are positioned to help you out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts