Wide Angle EF-S lens

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking for a good Canon Wide Angle lens which would be compatible for my Canon EOS 40D and 350D.

I've looked around and see several good reviews of the "Canon EF-S wide-angle zoom lens - 10-22mm" lens however i'm not convinced it's worth the money at the moment despite the lens release date of around 3 years ago.

As for the lens use? i'm looking more at using it for taking more scenic shots as well as photographs of some of the clients work for an Architectural firm, so a general all round good lens that doesn't cost a crap load of money is what i'm looking for. If anyone has any tips and advice then i'd appreciate the help.

Cheers!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you never plan on going to a larger sensor that lens will work great. It's not an L because it won't work on their flagship product, the 1D, but it's a really nice lens. As a cheaper alternative, take a look at the Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6, or even better, the Tokina 12-24 F4. I owned the Sigma briefly and it was really nice, but I took it back because it wasn't what I needed at the time. If I had it to do again I'd buy the Tokina lens as it is a fixed aperture vs. sliding aperture of the Sigma.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That information is really useful. There is a good difference in the price of the two lenses. I'll see how things go, i know which i'd prefer but it's whether i have the finances at the moment. Within the last month or so i've bought the Canon EOS 40D, a new Tripod, shutter remote plus other little bits for the camera and to top on with all my other purchases to date i think my bank balance is taking a strain now :lol:.

Would you say that should i go ahead and purchase the Tokina that it would be the better in the long run?

I also see that the Sigma lens you mentioned ishii tends to be for Nikons...os so most Google Searches have brought up.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm... I use Adorama for everything. Not sure if they ship to Scotland. Here's links to the Tokina and Sigma lenses-

Tokina 12-24 F4
http://www.adorama.com/TN1224EOS.html

Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6
http://www.adorama.com/SG1020EOS.html

I have not used any of the Tokina line, but I have heard nothing but good things about their stuff from a number of pro shooters. You can also read some of the reviews on Adorama's site.

I think you would be fine long run with the Tokina lens, based on the reviews.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the canon 10-22mm f3.5 lens and I absolutely love it for scenic pics. this lens is compatable with the 40D and the 350D I have the 350D and it takes great shots with it. This lens will work on bodies that have a 1.6x crop factor and Ishii is right it does not work on the full frame cameras or the 1D or the 5D. to me I would drop the money and buy it. I have take great pics of buildings with that lens so I vote buy it!

mtg
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like a good lens. I'd be very tempted to go for that. I'll think it over and compare prices over the next couple of days.
  • hFry
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will be purchasing the Canon 10-22 in the coming weeks. i can assure you that its a hell of a canon FD... Its fairly quick. I got the chance to borrow one for a week. Pretty sweet little piece of glass! good luck. be easy
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, i'm liking how it sounds. I'll more than likely purchase it soon.

Welcome to the site hFry. Woulc like to see more of your photos (assuming those ones in the sig are yours).
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I had money to spend on lenses :(
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:
I wish I had money to spend on lenses :(

Likewise. Only reason i've not got this lens yet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts