Asked
Updated
Viewed
6.5k times

When I try to run the rpm command from the console I get command not found:

# rpm
bash: rpm: command not found

Where can I find the rpm tool? I am using Vector Linux SOHO suite. When I run man rpm there are no entries found.

Are you sure Vector Linux uses RPM? — Don2007
    Vector Linux Uses tar.gz Packages. — Satwant
    Thanks for your replies! I have left attempting to use the .rpm option for now because Vector Linux has a native package format .txz and there are plenty of software packages available in that format. ( 🤔 I think this format is supported by ubuntu also but I am not sure). — a4asit
add a comment

1 Answer

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
AC
25 0
Answered
Updated

To answer your question, RPM is not found because your distro does not natively support RPMs, and thus you should follow the guidelines and recommendations for the distro you are using for installing packages.

Unless it's absolutely necessary, I would recommend avoiding RPM packages if you are not using a distro that natively supports .rpm. If you are not careful you can end up messing up your repositories and that can really make it difficult to get your stuff working normally again. I made that mistake when I first started using Linux and I regretted it.

If you are truly wanting or needing to use RPM packages, oftentimes for distros that do not support using the RPM tool natively, there are still ways to install and use the tool. You may have to look up options unique to the distro you are wanting to use.

I agree with AdamC, I also have bad personal experience in this regard 🙂 — Satwant
add a comment