2Way Messaging System

• Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,
A client recently reqested a 2Way messaging system be added to the event registration / event calendar section of his site... And I have no idea what that is... I don't use cellphones or PDAs.

Is that, from a system standpoint, the same as sending mass instant messaging (you can generally send a text message to a phone via an e-mail address phonenumber@provieraddress.com, for example).. So if you set up a mailing list using the text messaging numbers... is that what it means?

All I was able to find on Google were pages and pages of advertisment propaganda, and I didn't see anything in the search here (if it's been posted, please post the link to the topic).

Anyway advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
-mike
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe you could ask the client for more specific details of what they were asking for? A "a 2Way messaging system" sounds like they're asking for a chat/IM client to me...?

Maybe ask what they meant.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, they're specifically talking about mobile phones, I just don't know where this is just a marketing name for text-messaging or what...

For example:
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/nc ... gmenbr=126

http://www.otc.fsu.edu/Department/Offer/STOffer.html

I guess it's some feature of pagers, not cellphones? I'm really confused :cry:

.c
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

We could go on forever talking about what you're needing to do here, to be brief, you'll probably find everything you specifically need by googling "sms developer"

Try this, I hear it works, though I've never had a reason to use it:
http://www.simplewire.com/developers/sdk/php/

hth
This
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, very interesting.
Although, to keep is simple, why can't I just have people enter their wireless email address? Most (if not all) 2way pagers and text messaging enable phones use an email address-like addressing scheme to allow for internet based sending. Seems like I could just add that field to the membership database, then set up a system to send to that address instead of the regular e-mail address...

.c
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

In actuality, you can probably do just that. It all depends upon the user's provider, many cell phones can be sms'd at userPhoneNum@provider.com. Of course, that all depends on the provider though.

I think in this scenario, your depth of development is going to depend upon your intended audience. Some providers don't like to route messages that don't come from their own network, while others allow pretty much anything. In short, if you really have to be able to send text messages to everyone who has the capability to receive them, you're probably going to have to look into setting up an sms server to handle it for you - But I'm sure you're not trying to get that in-depth with this.

Perhaps there's a 3rd party company that already does this? I really wouldn't know, but if there isn't, there should be. All of the sms providers I've ever seen offer service only to this or that network.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts