3rd party cookies enabled?

• sevster
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can I check if 3rd party cookies are enabled on the clients browser who is visiting my website?

Checking if cookies are enabled isn't too hard, but I want to check for 3rd party cookies specifically.

ASP or Javascript preferred.

Thanks!
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the second similar post in recent weeks. why do you want to know what other sites peeps are visiting :?: none of your concern.
  • sevster
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Instead of determining it's none of my concern, you might want to ask first, in case there was something you didn't think about.

There are websites out there that require legitimate 3rd party cookies placed on the website, such as for eProcurement systems, SAP, Punchout, etc. If the client's browser doesn't allow it, the eProcurement systems won't work.

So, how can I determine this?
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 'SAP' you are referring to is a modular "enterprise resource planning" application. It is a notable investment used by established companies. I have worked in teams that have deployed it to clients such as BAE SYSTEMS and it does not require a cookie to work. Maybe you are referring to some very specific SAP functionality :?:

I have no idea about punchout, i found a miscellaneous website that referenced SAP, as above.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve :?: Maybe you have misunderstood the technical solution employed...

Forgive me for being blunt/brutal, I apologise. I'm happy to help but only if you explain your reasons. There are cookie solutions to your problem but the nature of the question lends itself to interrogation. 99.99% of web developers I know have dubious reasons for investigating such functionality.
  • sevster
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.ariba.com/network/punchout.cfm

Will give you some idea about what punchout is.

And although cookies are not a requirement per se, it is how most ecommerce sites function that are punchout enabled.

My question is much simpler though, because the "why I need it?" question is probably a lot harder to answer, and also irrelevant; please try to answer my actual question, which is:

How can I determine if a client's browser (client being someone who visits my website) has 3rd party cookies enabled or disabled?
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure if this actually works considering it seems too simple, but: http://www.jgc.org/blog/2006/04/do-you- ... okies.html

If it didn't, I tried. :(
  • sevster
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, thanks Polish, I found that exact same article...too bad I can't seem to get it to work properly.

But I do appreciate you trying, so thanks much for that!
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah that guys stupid thing doesn't seem to make sense code-wise, didn't expect it to work. I know no method of doing this other than having the test done on the actual 3rd party software.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts