AdBlock Plus/NoScript creator sees the error of his ways

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

"I did something extremely wrong, which I will regret forever. I abused the power and wasted the enormous trust capital gained by the NoScript add-on through the years to prevent Adblock Plus from blocking stuff on four internet domains of mine, without asking an explicit preemptive user consent."

That's how the creator started off yet another (albeit much more thorough) public apology surrounding the controversial move he made with a recent release of his highly popular add-ons. I'm sure most everyone has seen or read something on this topic, so I'd like to ask: what's your take on it? Was the creator really wrong in what he did, or is he just acting out of fear created by his outspoken users?

If you'd like to read a bit more, go here.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

What kind of idiot tries to monetise their anti-advertisement product using, duuuh ADVERTISEMENTS ?

I think this guy realized that he wasted his time creating these things for everyone without charging for them and freaked out when the charity funding started to dry up with the economy and tried what seemed like the only option.

You really can't blame the guy for trying to pay the bills I guess.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You guys should read his story ... seems like he wanted to add a feature to his add-on, but was testing it and was using the public as testing objects... and Palant retaliated on the sole base that the user's weren't notified of this "feature".

I read both sides of the story and don't know what to believe.

I'm using AdBlock-Plus... and before that I was choosing between No-Script and AdBlock-Plus...

I just checked the filters on my AdBlock-Plus and certain images and ads were automatically blocked from that site without my asking for it... maybe I should attack Wladimir Palant for doing that without my consent :lol: Start another holy was :lol:

I used to have an add-on that not only allowed me to block an ad/image on a page, it allowed me to block a div/span/p /whatever/ on a page... All I had to do was click CTRL, and click on something on the screen where a red border came up... kind of miss that add-on :|
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
seems like he wanted to add a feature to his add-on

A feature that whitelists some advertisements, in software that people use because of how broad the range of advetisements blocked is ?

Yeah right.
Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts