c++ and DirectX plus web browser....?

• montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys
I am not sure this is right place to post this topic...

My Friends has got project, to develop a game for web. For that he needs to use c++ and directX for 3d game.
But the client wants is that game should run on web browser. He knows to make <.exe> and run that on desktop.
I have tried google also but didn't got proper solution..! That how to run that game in web browser..?

Does any one has experience regarding this..? Than please do let me know... how to do that..? Or i guess i have to use any third party plug ins..?

thanks
:)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the client wants a browser based game, then that means that the program that is written needs to write a good deal of ouput using HTML. The program/script would need to be able to parse data through forms from web pages and then be able to take the appropriate actions such as updating databases. To make a browser based game his DirectX/Direct3D skills won't be needed since the display part is done through the web broweser itself in the form of HTML, images, and/or Flash. While he could use his C++ skills to do the game and still make it browser based, it would probably be 1000% easier to use PHP, PERL, or any other language like that since there are alot of premade functions that deal with web based stuff.

I hope that helps you some, to me it sounds like his speciality definitely wouldn't be for a browser based game though, he will have lots to learn if he wants to go through with it.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your input..

but i am still confused.. what will be the platform?
Coz here client is providing just 3d models nothing else... on web browser where he will display.. on flash player or any other player.. coz what ever we use, we have embed that into html page.. so what will be player for that..?
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is no player for the .exe file. The only way you would be able to use that is if you wanted to use it on the server end, it would not be for the client unless you wanted them to download the exe file and run it. However, it would no longer be a browser based game if you did that.

Everything for a browser based game is on the server side. So the programming runs on the server, not the client. So if you serve the pages using Linux, the platform would be a Linux flavor such as Redhat or Debian, etc. If you serve the pages using a Windows machine, then the platform would be an appropriate Windows server such as Windows Server 2008.

If the client wants you to use Flash which is served to the client and actually run on the clients machine, that is another option and you would use Adobe Flash and Actionscript to control a Flash based game. However, if they are to compete with others you will most likely have to have the Flash interface with a server where you could have multiple different languages for the backend system there and maybe some kind of database.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your input..
client dose not wants anything..like flash player.. he just want to see his game online..
I am just banging my head.. how to solve it.. coz to show this game online i need at least one platform, where i can show online..
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like all he wants is HTML, CSS and images on the frontend with some kind of program/script on the backend (meaning on the server) to process input and store information in a database. C++ and DirectX probably wouldn't be the choices for him. I would advise PHP and MySQL to do what you need to do for the backend.

No need to bang your head, I think you are making it more complicated than it really is.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

that means i must chose flash player or shockwave player to make it work..
for the back end i am getting your point about the PHP and MySQL, but for the front end it needs to be displayed...
thanks a lot for your input
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on what he wants. You could absolutely use Flash or Shockwave to achieve what you want on the frontend, although that is not necessary. There are all sorts of internet based browser games that just use HTML, CSS, and images (and maybe some Javascript). For example a popluar browser based game is Travian:

http://www.travian.com/

There are countless others that don't use any Flash or Shockwave either. It really comes down to preference and what you are after.
  • montyt
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for your url and input...
might be client is looking for similar to this one..
<http://www.maidmarian.com/ClubMarian.htm>

can u post some more url like this <http://www.travian.com/>
here requirement is for 3d..
thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts