Assistance needed with phpbb forum.

• dan-of-day
  • dan-of-day
  • Loc: London, England.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've recently obtained a forum for my website from phpbb.com and it's all working fine. The thing is at the top of the forum it says yourdomain.com and prompts you to change the title etc. Now forgive me for sounding extremely ill educated but I've searched through the directories on my ftp and i can't find an html page that I can edit. They are all php and tpl files. However when I view the source online it's all layed out in the same way as an html document. I've obviously missed the point somewhere as there is no assistance obtainable from phpbb.com as to how you can customize the forum. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to humour me and take it slowly....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

login to your forum as the administrator then click the link atr the bottom that says "Go to Administration Panel"

You can do pretty much all your customization there. Editing the tpl files won't help because all the information about the board, such as the "yourdomain.com" stuff is stored in the database, not in the files.
  • dan-of-day
  • dan-of-day
  • Loc: London, England.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I've managed to get the administration panel up and saw the link to "Styles" but it won't let me access it. Just keeps refreshing the forum test page. That's what happens with every link. But that's not to say that i don't have permission as i logged in as the administrator. Hum, what now?
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, not sure there. Sounds like possibly a cookie problem or path problem. More likely the path problem. You may have to edit the config table in the DB by hand or reinstall.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you are looking for are most probably the Site name and Site description from the PHPBB administration - Configuration. Change them.

And phpbb is probably the easiest to configure and customize. It has great support and documentations too in the phpbb.com site. Please look little more carefully in the site and also in the documentation that came with the zip file. Look in the Docs folder.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

dan-of-day wrote:
Now forgive me for sounding extremely ill educated but I've searched through the directories on my ftp and i can't find an html page that I can edit. They are all php and tpl files. However when I view the source online it's all layed out in the same way as an html document.

Just to be informative for the "ill-educated": the html source you see is generated by the server by request, using the php files as instructions. The server does not need to store it's own output, so there are no "html pages" to edit.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts