Automated Forum Setup Script ... Help Still Needed, Will Pay

• thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I am an Admin of http://www.freeboards.uni.cc At the present time we have just myself and one other admin. We are receiving many more applications per day than i had expected and setting them up is becoming a time consuming task. Each application that gets submitted gets e-mailed to us and then we have to take that info and make a folder with username requested, upload the phpBB forum files for that user, run the phpBB installation and then send a welcome e-mail. While at the same time trying to keep an up-to-date user database and answer all support requests in a timely fashion. This task is becoming very time consuming, tedious, and repetetive!

Is there any free way to automate it maybe by using a php/cgi or the like script?

Is there another type of forum such as InvisionBoard maybe that we could do this with?

Thanks,
The CodMan
FreeBoards Administrator
jason-c@comcast.net
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do it with phpBB, but it's not an easy task to do.

Check your PMs (if my msg ain't there yet, I'm still typing it, heh)
  • Lieven
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if you want to spend money on it or not...

if there's some cash available, check out Fantastico... They support a whole lot of phpscript builds.

Otherwise, write down what you do for every set-up and automate it in a php script... Create a 'build directory' that will be copied to every user's directory and modify some parameters.

I don't think it's that hard to do in PHP or bash
  • Alan2
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

all you need is theinformation entering in a Web form, which is then processed into a Sql Datababase.

after that have another webform which copies the files from a Server side folder into the new users account folder... and executes a custom Php install script which your registration ID tells it which Sql info to fetch and insert into the correct strings. then avoids the Install Forms and adds the info Directly into the Script.

After this the folders Contrib and Install should be removed frrom the install Directory and away you go. The script could also generate all the info too.

Sites would go live as soon as registered so no delays involved :)
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info everyone...

just one problem, i am unfamiliar with how to make my own php script, i can handle html, and some minor php editing but thats about it.

Can anybody please design a script for me?

In exchange I would be glad to place your button/banner/text link on our main or signup page, on any script that you make, and/or in our welcome e-mail sent to all users. I am open to other suggestions and am sure we can work something out.

If at all interested please reply, PM, or e-mail: jason-c@comcast.net

Here is a more complete list of exactly what im trying to accomplish:

After I receive an application I go through the following steps:

1. Create a folder in the main directory and name it the username requested

2. Upload all of the nessecary phpBB files from my computer into that folder via ftp.

3. Visit the location of the files/folder that i just uploaded: http://freeboards.uni.cc/USERNAME

4. Put in all the information into the phpBB Install Script that is there.

5. As requested by the install script download the config.php file.

6. Upload the config.php file to the users directory via ftp.

7. Delete the install and contrib folders in the users directory.

8. Add their info to a Admin viewable only forum that I am using as the member database. (this can change)

9. Send them a welcome e-mail.

Thanks,
The CodMan
Free Boards Administrator
jason-c@comcast.net
  • thecodman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I still need help in this area, continuing to process apps manually is becomeing an ever increasingly time consuming task and is taking away from the time i can be using on support.

I am now willing to offer to pay for a script made for me as well as still provide the free advertising (which now inlcudes placement on some members boards as well).

I'm happy to answer any other questions or negotiate.

If you're interested please reply here, PM, or e-mail me with what you would charge.

Thanks!

The CodMan
FreeBoards Administrator
jason-c@comcast.net
http://www.freeboards.uni.cc
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to lock this thread. We don't want to see price bids on the board for jobs. If anyone wants to make an offer on this, please PM or email thecodman at the address he provided above. Good luck thecodman.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts