Best lightbox for inline HTML?

• chibuki
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • chibuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I am trying to create a menu with a list of sub-menu on the left navigation bar of a site. I'm more of a front-end designer and know little programming, so I'm looking for some good open source stuff for visuals.

Instead of using the Suckerfish/javascript option, I thought I'd choose the lightbox this time. The one I went with was Fancybox (fancybox.net) as it supports inline HTML. The problem I encountered with it was that I was unable to modify the style of the hidden div using CSS. I can only do it using inline styles, so I can't style any pseudoclass for the link selectors.

You can look at what I have currently at jdreporting.freeiz.com (click on the "SERVICES" menu link on the left.

I looked at the code for Fancybox, which uses jQuery, but I can't come up with a solution. So my question would be would you know any good lightbox script that supports inline HTML? Preferably ones where I can modify its styles.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The word you are looking for is "modal" ... Lightbox is a type of modal ... Each modal script that I have seen so far comes with it's own stylesheet that you can edit all you want ... I use colorbox.

Do you want to edit the way that the modal looks, or do you want to edit how the content inside it looks?

If you are looking to style the contents of the Fancybox, you can use FireBug (Firefox Add-on) to view the classes/ids and their styles ... all the content of that box is inside a div called "#fancybox-inner", maybe that helps?
  • chibuki
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • chibuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I decided to switch to colorbox myself and it works good. I don't use it for galleries however, it's actually to pop up a menu links. And the only problem right now is that it doesn't work in Internet Explorer (sadly, all version according to IETester). Was this colorbox modal coded to work in IE6 as well?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea ... I don't develop for IE6 anymore ... I went and checked your site in IE8, and it works, I also checked it in compatibility mode for IE7 and that works too ... Maybe your IETester has javascript disabled?
  • chibuki
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • chibuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

They actually work? That's weird, because neither my IE7 browser nor IETester can't execute scripts. I went to the Internet Options and see ActiveX stuff are enabled so I don't know what's wrong.

Thanks however, I wanted to make sure they at least they work in IE7 and I'm glad when you said they do.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, when I say IE7, I actually mean IE8 with compatability mode enabled, which is supposed to respond like IE7 would ... Maybe someone with IE7 can just confirm ...

chibuki wrote:
I went to the Internet Options and see ActiveX stuff are enabled so I don't know what's wrong.

This has nothing to do with ActiveX though, it is javascript that you need to check for ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts