Book Recomendations

• GyverX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am requesting some serious recommendations on the subject of some books.

I have found that I retain the information better from the “Sams Teach Your self” books.
And they have a lot of different ones.

This is what I need to accomplish for the company I work for and I need to know what books I should get.

The project:
I need to build a web based program with about 4 to 5 data bases the link into each other. From one main screen that lists trucking loads and clients across 5 computers. (I am going to run it on a closed network). All 5 computers will be able to do the following: Read what loads are covered. What loads are out (with notes for each load). Directions for each place going to. Truck company info at a click.

There is a lot of info that is not mentioned here about the infrastructure of my idea but I wanted to keep this post a bit smaller than that.

I am trying to come up with a list of books that I need to get but a little lost on what I would need for this.

The main screen requires Ajax because of loads dating back 5 days. With that… Ajax (if I am not mistaken) is JavaScript and java script is basically C++

So here is my list of what I think I need to get and I would like to get the forums response and advice for what I need.

So far:
PHP MySQL bundle kit:
I know how to get around PHP code but I need to build off of or from the ground up. MySQL is easy enough but I need to learn this for my own benefit

C++:
For some of the pop up data entry screens needed for this project I think I need this as a background knowledge for JavaScript.

JavaScript and Ajax starter kit bundle:
Same as above but I think I need this to know that JavaScript code structure. The AJAX is for the main screen of this project. I need to be able to let the employees choose what date to choose to get the info they need with out leaving that page.

Apache:
I am defiantly getting this as this is what the whole Idea will be running on. I have set up a few of these in the past but didn’t really get into it a whole bunch

HTML5:
I know HTML and a little on the changes 5 brings but I think the book should give a benefit to what I am doing

OK with all that, I have to time to do these books but I don’t want to waste time either. I would like to go live with this by the end of the year as once the main structure is complete and working I have to enter at least 2 years of past info on contracts and companies. Or I can use some of what I have learned and come up with a excel and access import program ?

Should I be looking into ASP-net?
Any advice you can give with this project or any questions to further help me with this would be great and I will be looking out on this thread,

Thanks
Jason
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you'll need the C++ book, Javascript and C++ aren't all that much a like. You might also look into a book on a javascript framework such as Jquery.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with SpooF. Out of the books you listed there I think the C++ one you will find will be a waste of your time for your situation. I like the Oreilly books, and have an Ajax and Javascript book that I find are both very useful as far as learning quiet a bit, and great for reference later. That is just me though.

If you are going to use PHP for your backend I would not bother with ASP-net in my opinion. Just stick with LAMP: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP.
  • GyverX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the recommendations guys, As this project will keep me quite busy I will try and let you know how it is going.
  • navidimran
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • navidimran

Post 3+ Months Ago

For C and C++ you can seek help from the book "Programming in ANSI C" written by Balaguruswamy.
  • Z-axis
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Z-axis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lynda (dot) com all the way! they have video tutorials and lesson files to boot. They touch on every subject you just mentioned.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts