Building a game engine

• quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Suppose I fancy to build a game engine from the scratch, how do I begin? What languages and tools are best to learn/implement in order to do that. Also if you want to recommend any good site or book with tutorial and info for beginners on this, please post the links.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

c++ maybe?? not sure what a game engine is so.

http://www.forums.cpp-home.com
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm...the game engine is the core part of a computer game that handles Rendering, scripting, artificial intelligence, physics, and networking functions of the game. These days all the standard games are designed in a way so that the engine and the content of the game are totally seperated. So instead of having to build a game engine from the scratch, you can usually license a Quake or Unreal game engine and make your own graphics, characters, weapons and levels—the "game content" or "game assets." A single license for a high-end commercial game engine can range from $50,000 USD to $250,000 and the number of licensees can be several tens of companies (for Unreal engine).

You are right, C++ is the best language right now for the purpose. I was hoping some info from personal experience though. I am doing google research....so thank you anyway. :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your going where I think you are with this then I just want to wish you luck :wink:
  • Sk8erGuy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Sk8erGuy

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow, thats pretty cool that you are going to try and build i game engine. You can visit here and if you want me to ill send you the config file for Unreal Tournament 2003 so you can look over that.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks joebert and Sk8erGuy. But it's not really me directly involved with the project. I am more into web development instead of programming stuffs.

The link looks very useful. It'll give me hours of study mterial. Extra thanks to Sk8erGuy. :)
  • Kei
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Philippines

Post 3+ Months Ago

it will require you a lot of programming! The programming language applicable for a game engine is C++ and then use the directX libs to render graphics! ^_^ If you start one though, I'll gladly help! I'm currently teaching myself Visual C++!
  • Sk8erGuy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Sk8erGuy

Post 3+ Months Ago

sry for late reply. But ya, thats the least i can do for how much you guys help me with web site stuff.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Kei for such a good offer. Wish I was really going to build one. But you can say I was only mildly interested in how this is done. Currently I am too busy with web development and Flash to get into C++. But I will let my friend know who has probably started working on one already. Please pm me your email and I will ask him to contact you, if he is interested in doing something together with you.

Sk8erGuy I appreciate that.
  • Cafu
  • Student
  • Student
  • Cafu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe your friend should try using n open source game engine rather than designing his own.

Tell him to just go to google and search on "open source game engine". I am sure he will find several.
  • Wolborg_GT
  • Born
  • Born
  • Wolborg_GT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm actually a pro at Web Design but I wanna start with game engines and C++, any1 know where I can get expert help and teaching and stuff?
  • skilz80
  • Born
  • Born
  • skilz80

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if you will be checking back here, but for the past few years, I have been working on a game engine from scratch, and yes C++ is the best language. If you are very new to programming, C# isn't bad, but not as powerfull. I was hoping to find enough tutorials on DirectX 10, but I mostly find articles about it, and all of the tutorials for 10 are mostly in C#, or if they are in C++ it is for DirectX 9. I did happen to find a very nice web-site with downloadable vidoes for making a GameEngine, and a basic FPS game from scatch using C++, but it doesn't use DirectX it uses OpenGL. All the same the programming concepts are the same, just that you are using a different API/Library. It is very usefull and the guy who does all the videos is very good at what he does. His name is Marek A. Krzeminski and his website is www dot marek-knows dot com

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts