Changing phpBB theme in forum

• Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just wondering how safe it is to change the theme of your board when your board has a fair bit of info. I installed a new style in modules/forums/templates cos my main outlay is PHPNuke but my forum on Nuke is phpBB. I have done a full backup off my database for the forum but am actually scared to go to my administration/modules/forum/configuration setting and actually change the theme to igloo instead of subsilver and overide all user's settings in case something stuffs up.

My friend and I had a board with over 10000 messages once and when we overode all user's settings and installed a new theme, we lost everything and had to start the board from scratch, I don't want this to happen to me again!

Any advice guys??
:?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I would suggest that you put on your server a test board to do all of the tweaking and things before you install a new theme on your main one.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can install multiple themes on phpBB and switch to them in your user profile. This is beneficial because it uses the current database. Install all your mods and make sure you've tweaked it like you want it, and then switch your users to the new theme making it the board default and then uninstall the old. Works like a charm.

One key to successfully adding new themes to existing boards is always document your changes so you know exactly what mods are installed and what files have been modified.
  • SilverFox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • SilverFox
  • Loc: Shreveport, Louisiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

He's right. The database shouldn't be threatened at all. I've just modded the Alexis style on my site, and it works fine.
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh no I haven't done anything yet and when I came in this morning and clicked to open my site and its gallery also, I'm getting this error message? Anyone know what it means???

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/ on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /gallery/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

what did you do to the site before you got the error?
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not a thing but its back now, the host site must have crashed for a few hours this morning.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad it's back Miss_Bee...but can we please try to keep the phpBB questions in programming? This is the second time this week.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

best to have a few backups done before you go into it. and yr host site doesnt look reliable.
simply crashing like that? lol.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts