Changing Same Content Across Several Sites

• Wasnt Me
  • Wasnt Me

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK Folks

Let's say I want to serve the same content across several web sites. This could be such as a terms and conditions or contact information. The kind of content that might change, but can be the same on many websites and updated from a single file.

What's the best method of doing this from a single file?

Cheers :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The file can be the same but you have to FTP it to different servers or different sites on the same server. Also the directory structure would have to be the same on each site.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If all of the sites are on the same Apache server, check your httpd.conf (or apache2.conf) file for the internationalized error messages section. It should be a bunch of commented out lines describing how to setup multi-language error messages.
It's also setup in a way that should make it easy to understand the "alias" directive and modules involved with it for setting up directories to be available for all sites on the server.
  • Wasnt Me
  • Wasnt Me

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
If all of the sites are on the same Apache server, check your httpd.conf (or apache2.conf) file for the internationalized error messages section. It should be a bunch of commented out lines describing how to setup multi-language error messages.
It's also setup in a way that should make it easy to understand the "alias" directive and modules involved with it for setting up directories to be available for all sites on the server.

joebert

Thanks, that sounds just like what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping to be able to set up a SSI directory somewhere near the root where I can load files such as:

ssicontacts.html
ssiterms.html
ssioursites.html

I am in the process of building about 200 web sites, all have a similar theme - but all have different content - with the exception of contact details and terms.

There is also a page on which I'm creating a directory of links to all my sites. This means even using SSI on each site locally... I'm having to load the ssioursites.html over and again with every new site I create, and to each site downstream of each new site... as the content changes with every new build...

having done only 14 sites - it struck me that there's an awful lot of FTP in overwriting the ssioursites.html to the ever increasing number.

etc.....

Cheers
MMA :D

P.S. If my lack of knowledge is causing me to make a mountain our of a molehill and you know a much better method of approach - don't hold back... I'm up for any advice I can get.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts