CHMOD using flashFXP to set permission for file!

• ashleek007
  • Born
  • Born
  • ashleek007
  • Loc: Manchester

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

im a newbee to permissions, ive only just found out about them because my hosting company dont want me to automatically have access to all the folders in my site.

anyway, my idea is that i have a folder which is stored on the server called 'upload_files'.
I am then able to upload files (pictures) to this folder because ive changed the CHMOD of the folder to 0777. This allows me to read, write and execute to the folder.

My problem is when ive uploaded pictures to this folder i want the files to also be read, write and execute. I have tried to edit each file and give it these permisions but when i update them it stays the same.

i have also tried to give full permissions to the folder and then pass these permaissions on to all subfolders and files by ticking the corresponding check box, but this also has no effect on the files. When i try to access the uploaded file it gives me the error: -
Error 403: Permission denied/HTAccess Error

I dont understand why this is. As one of the files in the folder already has all the permisssions set, but it wont let me set the others once i upload them.

this is stressing me out, but im sure you guys can help me! :)
thanks in advance
ASH
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ashleek007
  • Born
  • Born
  • ashleek007

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive just realised that in my FlashFXP its telling me that i am not allowed to change the permissions every time i try.

This is the message it gives: -
550 s6.jpg operation not permitted

My ideal way would be, when a new file is added to this folder it is given the fullaccess permisions (CHMOD 777) if anyone can help thanks

ASH :(
  • ashleek007
  • Born
  • Born
  • ashleek007

Post 3+ Months Ago

any ideas on this problems people?

cheers
ASH :oops:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ermm... if you give 777 to a file, that allows EVERY user on the system to write to it and modify files on your site.

It sounds to me like your host is probably running Windows, or some seriously restricted *nix.

Are you sure they're running an operating system that uses chmod?

First, I would learn exactly what all the file permissions mean, then probably seek a new host.

Making your entire site chmod 777 is like hanging a sign around your site's neck begging people to change/hack it.
  • ashleek007
  • Born
  • Born
  • ashleek007

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i kno, ive onlt made the one folder 777

ill speak to the hosting company, but they were the ones who told me about CHMOD so im guessing they use it.

if they do use the CHMOD method and i cant change the permissions wat shud i do?

thanks
ASH
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

speak to them to find out why :)
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try going to your hosting CPanel and using its file manager, find it, click Change permisions, and change the according boxes.

That's the only way I know how to do it besides using flash FXP's right click and set permisions (CHMOD)

you could always try telnetting..but its a real pain

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts