Voting Chart

Total votes : 5

Is it possible to make a CMS with JUST Flat Files?

•  
    Yes
  •  
    Unsure
  •  
    No

CMS using just flat files (.txt). Is it possible?

• Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone. I'm currently building a CMS for my clan website. Do you guys think it's actually possible to make one JUST using flat files? (.txt)
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• eukreign
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Morris, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Funny_Fuzz wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm currently building a CMS for my clan website. Do you guys think it's actually possible to make one JUST using flat files? (.txt)
Thanks

I don't see why not. Relational databases store the database in flat files 8)

But ultimately it depends on what you have experience doing and how much time you have.

If you know SQL very well than you would probably be better off using a database.

If you are good with text processing and have an idea of a storage format for your CMS system than go for it, go directly to flat files.

I think you should always do what feels more comfortable to you. The more comfortable you are with your system the better you will understand it, be able to fix it and the less bugs it will have. And you will have more time to work on new features instead of trying to figure out why your database connector is core dumping or something like that :-)

Having said all this I would use a Relational Database, I prefer PostgreSQL.
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah... Thanks. I'm not too familiar with SQL and I'm not very good with PHP intergrated with MySQL. My programs always end up having problems when I try to do it like that. I guess I'll use text files. Thanks
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Viaweb (which was bought by Yahoo and turned into Yahoo Store) didn't use databases.

Quote:
What database did you use?

We didn't use one. We just stored everything in files. The Unix file system is pretty good at not losing your data, especially if you put the files on a Netapp.

It is a common mistake to think of Web-based apps as interfaces to databases. Desktop apps aren't just interfaces to databases; why should Web-based apps be any different? The hard part is not where you store the data, but what the software does.

While we were doing Viaweb, we took a good deal of heat from pseudo-technical people like VCs and industry analysts for not using a database-- and for using cheap Intel boxes running FreeBSD as servers. But when we were getting bought by Yahoo, we found that they also just stored everything in files-- and all their servers were also cheap Intel boxes running FreeBSD.

(During the Bubble, Oracle used to run ads saying that Yahoo ran on Oracle software. I found this hard to believe, so I asked around. It turned out the Yahoo accounting department used Oracle.)

http://www.paulgraham.com/vwfaq.html
  • Funny_Fuzz
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just managed to create one just using flat files. Wasn't too hard :D.
  • biz0505
  • Born
  • Born
  • biz0505

Post 3+ Months Ago

So it is possible some of those already established are:

SNEWS -
Pivot -
-FlatPress

They are very useful because you put too many choices that you make a big difference when you just want something simple.

http://luiseduardohd.blogspot.com/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts