Coding a log in function

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I'm currently doing is creating my CMS system to farther challenge my PHP skills and I didn't really get anywhere with it... I'm still working on the design part of it and can't decide on which colors to use, what layout would be the best, how to position everything and how to make it as generic as possible and still keep the design fresh and nice coming right from the box.

But that is not the point of this post, what I want to do is start a discussion to what features there should be in a log in/log out function... I'm not saying set the session or whatever and then check if it is set... I'm talking for security features, what to add when validating the Username/Password availability and correctness in the database, how to best setup the user tracking (It starts when a user logs in and ends when a user logs out)... And keep track of guests...

I wonder how the best way to do the 'Remember Me" function... should I use a cookie, a session, or the user's IP Address? All I want is some opinion from you guys as to what you expect in a log in/log out function and what you would like to see in there. I can do basic Authentication System with User Levels and permissions in effect and I could also use the IP rather then the sessions for loggin in and loggin out.

Any ideas/opinions out there?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• BIOSTALL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the 'Remember Me', a cookie is the way to go.

As for login details I MD5 encrypt the password, also adding a 'Forgot Password?' feature as well.

:)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, sounds good. Are there any other opinions? I just want a big diversity of ideas and opinions on things.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts