E-commerce database question

• PieMan
  • Born
  • Born
  • PieMan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this, if it’s not could someone point me in the right direction.

I am building an e-commerce web site and have a few questions I can’t find answers too.

If I use a PHP script for a customer to add their e-mail address to a mailing list, how would I store this info. Would it be on a MYSQL database (hosted on a Linux server) or another database type? How would the database be created?

Same sort of question, if I used a PHP shopping cart, what sort of database would I use to record sales details and how would it be created?

What is a flat database? As opposed too what other type?

Thanks

PieMan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Case 1: I would use a mySQL database and just add the users name and email to a table called "mailing_list" or something, through PHP querries.

Case 2: Same as above.

Case 3: ??? Don't know but I may go look around and see if I Can find out.
  • dr nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • dr nick
  • Loc: Frankfurt

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you might also just want to start learning some basic tutorials on PHP and mySQL. Using Google to look for this is a good start, or you could try a site like devshed.com.

Also, be sure to check out osCommerce, its an open-source for shopping cart services that looks pretty solid, and you should find a lot of answers there.

Just as a specific answer to storing email addresses, if this was the only thing you'd want to do (i.e. to be able to send out newsletters), you could simply write the email addresses to a text file using PHP file routines, so you wouldn't necessarily need SQL for something that simple.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts