Converting UNIX scripts for use on Windows server

• Funky Monk
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Northern Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I recently changed site hosts to one with Windows servers. They provide a cgi-bin also. When I went to add a script, it didn't work. I contacted their support but their reply was:

"We provide no support for users scripts, your script does not run because it is setup to run on a Linux system - it needs converting."

The scripts I was trying run are a Perl script for a download counter, and a site mapper (which, btw, I cannot find anything as useful in ASP).

So, can anyone explain to me HOW I convert a script??? My hosts won't help so I'm stuck. Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not exactly sure how to convert it to work. I thought the PERL script would work as long as you make sure the PERL script isn't using things that are not compatible with Windows. For instance all Paths in the script should be fixed to use Windows paths, not Linux paths, and second you should make sure its not using any functions like flock or chmod that I believe would not work on a Windows system.

What I really recommend you do is move back to a Linux server. Is there any particular reason you wanted to move to a Windows server?
  • Funky Monk
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Northern Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep... it was free!! (http://www.ukfreehosts.com). To be honest, I don't think much of their service (as evidenced by their 'support'), but they offer unlimited space, bandwidth, etc. for nowt. I'm a student at the moment but starting my own business soon. No money!! Simple choice. I've learnt some ASP lately and really wanted to try it out live, so I thought rather than shelling out a few hundred squid I would take a no cost option as I can then decide to go back to UNIX.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts