Asked
Updated
Viewed
22.3k times

I am trying to create a category system with multiple subcategories.

I would like the categories and sub-categories to be able to have sub-categories as well. I do not know how deep the nesting should go, so it should be assumed that they will infinitely nest.

What sort of logic should be used to create an infinitely nested category structure?

add a comment

3 Answers

• Votes
  • Oldest
  • Latest
Answered
Updated

To expand on RabidDog's idea using a recursive solution, I am in agreement with that.

The first solution I provided was just the SQL solution, which can be taken in a global applicative solution, depending on what he needs as an approach vertical/horizontal/both.

Horizontal:

SELECT c.ID_CATEGORY, c.NAME CATEGORY, ID_SUB_CATEGORY, c2.NAME_CATEGORY FROM CATEGORY c JOIN RELATION r ON (c.ID_CATEGORY=r.ID_CATEGORY) JOIN CATEGORY c2 ON(ID_SUB_CATEGORY=c2.ID_CATEGORY) ORDER BY c.ID_CATEGORY 

Vertical, something looking like that:

function single_genealogy($category, $level = 0)
{
	$q = "SELECT ID_SUB_CATERORY, NAME_CATEGORY FROM RELATION JOIN CATEGORY c USING(ID_CATEGORY) WHERE c.ID_CATEGORY=".$category;
	$r = mysql_query($q); //or die/mail/echo mysql_error()
	if(mysql_num_rows($r))
	{
		$level++;
		while($d = mysql_fetch_row($q))
		{
			//displaying current node : $d[1]...
			//recursive call :
			single_genealogy($d[0], $level);
		}
	}
}

for a given category, that'll show :

level(<=given one)
   level
      level
      level
   level
   level

Very importantly, a category mustn't be twice in a single genealogical tree otherwise it'll turn the recursive solution into a perpetual one! 🙂

add a comment
Answered
Updated

You could make 2 tables:

CATEGORY and SUB_CATEGORY

The first table CATEGORY would hold the info about each category no matter what it is hierarchically.

The second table SUB_CATEGORY would hold (unique) couples of associations ID_CATEGORY to ID_SUB_CATEGORY.
A category could be in ID_CATEGORY, in all the rows showing her "daughters" and also in ID_SUB_CATEGORY in the rows showing her "mothers"

CATEGORY:

ID_CATEGORY
NAME_CATEGORY

RELATION

ID_CATEGORY
ID_SUB_CATERORY

ALL the categories have an entry in the first table. The second show all the subcategory for each ID_CATEGORY that has got at least one, in fact, if you want to register a subcategory you put in the id of the mother ID_CATEGORY and it's own id ID_SUB_CATEGORY, that'll list all the subcategories of one category :

SELECT ID_SUB_CATERORY, NAME_CATEGORY FROM RELATION JOIN CATEGORY c USING(ID_CATEGORY) WHERE c.ID_CATEGORY=CAT_WHAT_CATEGORY_ARE_SEARCHED

You can also check if a category is a subcategory:

SELECT c.ID_CATERORY, NAME_CATEGORY FROM RELATION JOIN CATEGORY c USING(ID_CATEGORY) WHERE ID_SUB_CATEGORY=CAT_WHAT_MOTHER_CATEGORY_ARE_SEARCHED
add a comment
Answered
Updated

If you want unlimited levels you could look at using a recursive solution. This would allow for scenarios like:

Level
  level
  level
  level
   level
   level
  level
    level
      level
  level

Using one of the solutions provided here you would be limited to:

Level
  level
  level
level
  level
level

Recursive solutions can however become resource-intensive (unless designed properly).

add a comment