Cross-linking default values in MySql tables.

• digisales
  • digisales

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope I'm in the right forum, and can ask this question in a way that makes some sense . .

Basically, what I need to do is be able to use MySql in a way similar to an Excel spreadsheet. Here's what I mean:

Each subscriber to my site is able to save data to 3 different tables in a MySql database - meaning there 3 tables for each subscriber. Within the structure of those tables there are several default values that are the same for all tables. (Because of the way the site operates, it is necessary for each table to reflect the same default value.)

My question is:
Is there a way to set up a "Master Default Table" and have each subscriber's tables "call" the default values from that Master?
That way, if I need to change a default value, I can do so from the Master table, and the change will occur in all tables that include that same default value.

Any help is much appreciated, even if you just want to direct me to a tutorial or something. I'm new to MySql, and I'm learning on my own.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need to look up database normalisation. This will illustrate how to set up tables for referencing what you call default data as opposed to duplicating it.

Let me know if you need help finding references :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts