Discussion About PHP Future

• 3DProf4online
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 3DProf4online

Post 3+ Months Ago

What are your opinions about PHP language future? Does this language have any perspectives or it will be replaced by a new technology later? What do you think about this?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If PHP is to be replaced in the future I don't think it would happen soon.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me future versions need to have a significant improvement in the language's design. I don't have a problem with PHP but because of its nature many programmers use it incorrectly. The result is that PHP receives a lot of criticism on this because it encourages/facilitates "bad" programming.

Uprising languages/frameworks like rails have many developers moving away but PHP still stands strong.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as this page exists php will live.
  • wanna kill
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i m a PHP lover but i think ASP.net replace the PHP. for more info you can read this article. link

thanks
  • Prime
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Liverpool

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
i think ASP.net replace the PHP

never happen in a million years, you're comparing open-source to .NET. The biggest threats to PHP are currently python and ruby, specifically the django and rails frameworks. And they are not much of a threat (at the moment).
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

wanna kill wrote:
i m a PHP lover but i think ASP.net replace the PHP. for more info you can read this article. link

thanks

I really doubt that ... have you seen how much a visual studio licence will cost you?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Python become a little more widespread in the next few years.

But no, PHP isn't going to die off anytime soon. Too many existing web applications are using it and don't want to/don't have the time and resources to move to another platform.
  • jbladeus
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jbladeus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Almost all popular modern CMSes such as joomla, drupal, wordpress, popular e-commerce apps and many others have been developed using PHP. These are being used not on hundreds, nor thousands, but on millions of sites. So if PHP kicks the bucket, one can well imagine the impact it would have on the structure of the internet.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Best by what standards?
What is an 'operating language'?
What makes PHP safer and more secure than other languages?
  • satya-prakash
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Bangalore

Post 3+ Months Ago

wanna kill wrote:

thanks

I also think PHP will live for some time at least. It will live very longer. But I am assuming new tech always comes.

PHP has removed lots of its weakness in PHP 5 version. whatever very few major things are there to handle will be sorted out in PHP 6. You can see lots of big big websites are coming into php platform. Why are they coming, think, it is going to die in near future.

and also there is no good comparision between ASP.Net and PHP.
ASP.Net need VB or C# . PHP do not need any other lang. PHP is free to use and distribue applications developed using PHP.

Yes, Ruby On Rail/python etc are real compititor of the PHP. But remember time is of Web Application and PHP stands clear winner here. :)
  • 3DProf4online
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 3DProf4online

Post 3+ Months Ago

For me it is a pleasure to see that many people think that PHP language will not be replaced by other techniques in the future! The point is that I have just started studying PHP! :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I mentioned this earlier, but I can see newer languages taking over PHP as dominant technology choices in the near future. PHP is popular now because of how widespread it is, and the language itself, for the most part, is only liked because of the amount of built-in functionality they've packed into it. The language itself is severely lacking in areas, and I think newer languages such as Python are ready to step up to the task of replacing it.
  • 3DProf4online
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 3DProf4online

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
I can see newer languages taking over PHP as dominant technology choices in the near future
Once upon a time Yahoo and IE were the most popular search engine and web browser respectively! However, Google and Firefox have overcome all their expectations later! Can the same situation happen with PHP as well?
  • Nightslyr
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Nightslyr

Post 3+ Months Ago

3DProf4online wrote:
spork wrote:
I can see newer languages taking over PHP as dominant technology choices in the near future
Once upon a time Yahoo and IE were the most popular search engine and web browser respectively! However, Google and Firefox have overcome all their expectations later! Can the same situation happen with PHP as well?

PHP, like others have said, won't disappear any time soon. I mean, just look at all of the apps that use it. Look at the hordes of people still trying to learn PHP 4, even though it's years out of date and no longer officially supported by Zend.

That said, PHP does have its warts. Its main flaw is a lack of direction. The language was never intended to have object-oriented capabilities. It was never intended to support namespaces. Its own built-in functions suffer from a lack of naming consistency, and I wouldn't be surprised if several were superfluous. Things are tacked onto the language in a half-hearted manner (like OO in PHP 4), or left in the language for no good reason (magic quotes and register globals).

As a programmer, it's very easy to see that PHP is stitched together by good, and bad, ideas. Its popularity is derived from its cost (free), its low learning curve, and the legacy it's already created.

When PHP 5.3 comes out, and namespaces are available for all, it'll be interesting to see the chaos left in its wake.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts