Drawing Data from a 3rd Party Website

• Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to draw data from a 3rd party website and use it on your website? I want to take NFL stats from NFL.com or any other provider of stats and use them on my website. Is there a way to do this, maybe using PHP?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think what you are referring to are xml feeds. Many sites will allow you to get data from their site automatically using these xml feeds. You would need to contact the site that you want to get the data from and see if they have such an option.

Anyway that you do it you obviously need the permission of the site that you are getting the data from.
  • eCommando
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • eCommando
  • Loc: California, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. it's possible, even without xml feeds. You can get the content of the 3rd party site and parse the results that you want to display. Any language can do it, php, asp, jsp.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to do this in PHP. What is the best way to do this? I've never attempted anything like this before.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will have to make sure with the site from which you take content that they ALLOW this.

You are essentially using their bandwidth, and they're getting nothing out of it. A major commercial venture such as the NFL is not going to take it too well, especailly if your site becomes busy, and you're basically republishing THEIR copyrighted content on your site.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree. This project has been terminated.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you were worried about that, you could implement some kind of caching system. You would still have to get their permission first but if you weren't making a page request to their site every time a request was made to your site, they might be a little more willing.

If the project has been terminated this probably makes no difference, but I think its worth mentioning.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the republishing of their copyright material (are the 'stats' copyright? - i don't know). Anyway, whatever, my point was this:
Axe wrote:
You are essentially using their bandwidth, and they're getting nothing out of it.

Like the validators, hundreds of seo tools and whatever, I don't believe any of them check for authorization from site owners before fetching the pages. So the actual fetching of the pages is not so bad, it's just the republishing of copyright material, and as rj said, a caching system would prevent gratuitous downloads, limited to say one d/l a week or every couple of days or something.

so what I'm saying is that as long as what you are scraping from the site is not copyright (or you are not republishing) and you keep d/l's to a minimum, there is nothing wrong with the scraping itself.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmm...

I'm interested to see if Stats are copyright.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, most websites specifically say that all the content on that site is copyrighted.

Unless they allow you to redistribute specifically named information on the site (for example, an RSS feed), assume you don't have permission.

Your best bet is to contact them in writing, or via E-Mail.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts