Dreamweaver's wizrds and Include files

• Travis Coats
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Travis Coats

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had someone design a site for me and I am going back through and doing all content editing and PHP functionality. Usually DWCS3 is an excellent tool and I have the application wizards mastered, but since he used includes for the Head, content and footer - the wizards interfaces have become useless.

For Example:

If I create a recordset, the logical place is in the head include since it is where all the PHP code goes. So DW recognizes the recordsets in the Bindings window in the header.php doc, but not in any other documents that include that include file!!!! SO...now I have to figure a way to build all that great and garbled code DW does automatically for me because of this programmatic problem.

Am I missing something? Is there any easier way?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I may just be misunderstanding you here, but let me try and explain what I understood.

You've got content pages... the header and the footer are included into them... the header file is named header.php and the footer file is called footer.php. Both of those files are included into every content page.

You need to put something in the header of every content page and you are trying to do that using DW. DW recognizes the header.php as it has the <head>...</head> information.

And that change doesn't reflect in the content pages? Is that what you are saying?

If so, make sure the pages aren't being cached, and if it is, delete the cache files and reload them.
  • Travis Coats
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Travis Coats

Post 3+ Months Ago

You were close, almost exactly on the money.

I've already did the cache cleaning and it didn't solve the problem. After reflection I don't think there is a program out there that can perform like I originally thought. The content pages were called...the header.php and footer.php includes were included in the content pages. The wizard interface - namely the bindings and database panels- did not update to reflect the establishment of the recordsets and server behaviors established in the includes. This is actually not disappointing(sort of), because DW would have to jump through hoops to know to include the PHP recordset code in the header (something which you don't define) and know that the free result code DW spits out would go in the footer.php(again something DW doesn't look for).

I ended up solving this by making a test.php page which included every page in my site, and then I painstakingly copied and pasted the correct code (knowing the browser WOULD include the PHP code from the header and footer) into the content pages. It was fun, but definitely showed me the downfall of wizard interfaces like DW offers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts