Dyanamic Checkboxes and Associative Arrays

• JakeBurgh
  • JakeBurgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey,

I'm making a basic football simulator for a play by mail game where users submit their teamsheets through the post. I'm automating the system so that I select the teams on a website which then simulates the match for me and returns a result.

The home/away teams are presented in a table, taken from a MySQL database which checkboxes next to each player to select them to play in that match here:

PHP Code: [ Select ]
$p=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM fixtures WHERE fixtureid='{$_GET['match']}' LIMIT 1", $c);
$pa=mysql_fetch_array($p);
print "<b><center><font size=+1>{$pa['homename']} v {$pa['awayname']}</font><br />
Division {$pa['tournament']} fixture | Turn {$pa['turn']}<br /><br />";
if ($pa['played'] > 0)
{
print "<b>This match has already been simulated. If you have entered the incorrect team or are unhappy with the result then please continue to select the squad.<br /><br /></b>";
}
$ht=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM players WHERE teamcode={$pa['hometeam']} AND rating2 > 0 ORDER BY posorder ASC", $c);
$at=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM players WHERE teamcode={$pa['awayteam']} AND rating2 > 0 ORDER BY posorder ASC", $c);

print "<form action='playmatch.php?stage=B&match=". $_GET['match']. "' method=post>
<div style='position: absolute; left: 200px; top: 80px;  width: 300px; padding: 1em;'>";

print "<font size=-1>
<table border=0>";
while ($h=mysql_fetch_array($ht))
{

print "<tr><td width=2%><input type='checkbox' value='" . $h['playerid'] ."' name='home[]'></td><td>
{$h['surname']}</td>
<td>{$h['pos1']}";

1. $p=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM fixtures WHERE fixtureid='{$_GET['match']}' LIMIT 1", $c);
  2. $pa=mysql_fetch_array($p);
  3. print "<b><center><font size=+1>{$pa['homename']} v {$pa['awayname']}</font><br />
  4. Division {$pa['tournament']} fixture | Turn {$pa['turn']}<br /><br />";
  5. if ($pa['played'] > 0)
  6. {
  7. print "<b>This match has already been simulated. If you have entered the incorrect team or are unhappy with the result then please continue to select the squad.<br /><br /></b>";
  8. }
  9. $ht=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM players WHERE teamcode={$pa['hometeam']} AND rating2 > 0 ORDER BY posorder ASC", $c);
  10. $at=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM players WHERE teamcode={$pa['awayteam']} AND rating2 > 0 ORDER BY posorder ASC", $c);
  12. print "<form action='playmatch.php?stage=B&match=". $_GET['match']. "' method=post>
  13. <div style='position: absolute; left: 200px; top: 80px;  width: 300px; padding: 1em;'>";
  15. print "<font size=-1>
  16. <table border=0>";
  17. while ($h=mysql_fetch_array($ht))
  18. {
  20. print "<tr><td width=2%><input type='checkbox' value='" . $h['playerid'] ."' name='home[]'></td><td>
  21. {$h['surname']}</td>
  22. <td>{$h['pos1']}";

The form then continues and it is the same for the away team except the name for the checkbox is 'away[]'.

Where I am having trouble is I do not know how to interpret the returned data for the form on the next page.

I need to select every player (who has been selected) from the database using the player's unique id number from the value of:

value='" . $h['playerid'] ."'

I have tried various foreach/while statements but they do not seem to return anything. At the moment I have
print "{$_POST['home']}";

1. print "{$_POST['home']}";

On the return screen which prints the word 'Array'. Therefore I know the information is being sent through the form as an associative array, but I do not know how to access and use the values returned.

Any help is greatly appreciated, Jake

PS, I know my php and sql is slightly outdated/strange, basically because I learnt it all from MCCode a few years back, but still, it does the job.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JakeBurgh
  • JakeBurgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Problem solved.

$home=$_POST['home'];
print "$home[0]";
print "$home[1]";

1. $home=$_POST['home'];
  2. print "$home[0]";
  3. print "$home[1]";

$home[0] then returns the playerid of the first player selected, $home[1] the second etc. etc.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for posting the solution, makes sense since it sounds like it $_POST['home'] is just an array of values. Glad you were able to figure it out on your own. So just for reference you should be able to access the variable like this as well:

print $_POST['home'][0];
print $_POST['home'][1];
  1. print $_POST['home'][0];
  2. print $_POST['home'][1];
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you don't know how many $_POST['home'] items there will be in that array, you can use a foreach loop to loop through them, as follows:

<?php
  foreach($_POST['home'] as $key=>$value){
    //do something here
  }
?>
  1. <?php
  2.   foreach($_POST['home'] as $key=>$value){
  3.     //do something here
  4.   }
  5. ?>

Post Information