Filemaker and CGI.. or MySQL and CGI? or ?

• peteboxshot
  • Loc: Blackburn, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm putting a site together offering online imaging services. I need to have the user interacting with my own tools (unix) and a database, containing images and other data.

I'd like the database to be updatable easily by a non tech type, which pulls me in the direction of filemaker (which I use for general office work anyway).

Is this sensible? I'm noticing that MySQL seems to be the RDMS of choice for CGI stuff.... any thoughts of the direction I should be going?

I'm thinking of going the CGI route btw because I'm fairly familiar with unix and very basic perl. My services are unix/OSX based anyway and it integrates well with what I'm trying to do. I'm not planning to write the cgi myself. I'll just be specifying it and maintaining / adding to it.

To add to my confusion, I don't really know anything about PHP, Flash, ASP, ABC, 123 and all other the other protocols around so I may be missing out on something really simple... :roll: :salut:
hmmm.. so

a/ filemaker plus cgi?
b/MySQL plas cgi?
c/filemaker pus something else?
d/none of the above? ;)

oh, and I'm hosting on my own server, most likely OSX running apache.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Scorpius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Scorpion Hole

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, something you are wanting is a type of cms(content managment system), but not only for you, but for your users also. This is half way easily, as long as you are willing to make it. I suggest B. MySQL plus cgi. I have a script currently made, although only for admins to have access to this, it can be easily manipulated, mine is written in PHP though. Also if you are willing to pay, or if it is for a company, you can easily find scripts that are already made and work good. You can look for some at http://www.hotscripts.com.
  • peteboxshot
  • Loc: Blackburn, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh.. that's what it's called!! a content management system! Gives me something to search on. It always helps to know the name of what you're looking for on this internet contraption ;)

I'm going to have a quick look at the intro to PHP on vtc.com as well (cos I'm curious now) Hmm food for thought.

thanks Scorpius!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts