Forums & HTML

• Corona
  • Corona

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone help me out and tell me how to make a forum or tell me where to go? I;m new and trying to do more and more with html, but have been unlucky enough not to find anything that helps me :-\

~Jeremy
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, you can't do it with HTML. You have to do it with a scripting language like PHP or ASP or PERL or VB or something similar. Do some reading in the programming/scripting board. Lot's of good advice there and many who have sought the same thing.

In the meantime, I'm moving this post to that board, because that's where you'll find your help.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't feel like doing a whole lot of scripting you might want to consider uploading a phpbb to your server. They are pretty cool, and free.

It would be nice to start a forum from scratch. But probably real time consuming for a good, secure one
  • ogames
  • ogames
  • Loc: Southampton, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

or you could spend some time learning php as you try to make your own forum, its a lot more satisfying than using a premade one!
  • Corona
  • Corona

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thats what im trying to do, im making a site for fun and trying different things on it. so ty to everyone above

~jeremy
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ogames wrote:
or you could spend some time learning php as you try to make your own forum, its a lot more satisfying than using a premade one!

Heheh that is definatly my philosophy, but phpBB is so well built, and so many man hours have been put into it, I wouldn't try making my own forum, unless something incredibly simple was needed. I mean have you ever looked at phpBB code...the stuff boggles my mind, and I've been using PHP for a while now :-P
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I feel the same about phpBB. Writing your own forum is like reinventing the wheel. Their code is phenomenal.

Although, I've actually put some time into developing my own forum. http://www.japanupdate.com/forums . If you're a beginner, you're going to need to really put some time into learning php. Jumping into this kind of project when you're first learning the ropes of php is like jumping into calculus right after learning addition.

1. You've got to learn and get comfortable with php.
2. You've got to learn how to work with a database.
3. You've got to learn how to get php and the database to work together.

And then after that, you've got to sit down and develop your logic for creating the forums. It's not as easy as it sounds, but it's not as hard as you'd imagine. But you definitely do have to spend a good amount of time learning php (or perl or asp or ...) before getting started on the actual forum.
  • Corona
  • Corona

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aight ty everyone i went with vladdrac's idea and downloaded phpbb a free one now all i have to do is figure out how to get it working and make the website, so ty to everyone.

`Jeremy
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

let us know how it goes

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts