Google O3D, accelerated 3D graphics in the browser

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Imagine developing top-end graphics gaming in the browser. You're thinking Flash, right? Ok, I want you to incorporate files from digital content creation tools, such as 3ds Max, Maya, and SketchUp. Still pondering the possibilities? Fine, how about if I ask you to do it using only JavaScript...now that's an interesting request!

Although others have attempted to bring graphics acceleration to the browser in the past, Google hopes to succeed where others have slipped. With their new O3D plugin, users can enjoy 3D graphics in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. JavaScript developers can use the accompanying API to directly access the GPU and take their content to a whole new level.

But it's a plugin, right? Who wants to mess with that? Well, in short, me. I took the bait and downloaded/installed the O3D in a matter of seconds. After viewing the demos available with the API documentation, I can safely say that I won't be uninstalling it. That is, unless Google realizes its goal of getting it built into future browser releases!

Interested? Download here, view the demos here.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok that really impressive and the performance is as good if not better than PaperVision3D in Flash. Nice find.
  • carazoo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks interesting.... :-)
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very interesting, though personally working with javascript really irritates me - but there isn't really any other "standard" scripting language they could have used.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts