Help With CSS/Javascript for my home page!!

• Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wooooo Hoooo theres only 2 problems sweety...

The blogger content and headers under the pictures on the left next to the nav bar have to actually be next to the pictures but on the right so all the content is under the header in the middle section :( and lastly the small pics need to be on the outside of the blogger square on the right so that the first pic is aligned next to the header line but above the blogger line....

Hope that makes sense and I hope I don't sound ungrateful but thats a big prob and I truly do appreciate everything you have done!! xxxxx
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah thats cool, I take it you just want the whole center section "flipped" and that gap got rid of? Let me know that that is right before I start on it.

//edit actually I have no idea what you are saying - can you do me a quick sketch? :lol:

anyway, as I said the difficult bit is done, anything else is just quick tweaks :D
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

yep i'll do u a quick sketch now
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok here it is hun....its only really rough but its an idea of the layout i want but with the drift you already have just how i want the blogger and the right sided pics ok...

http://www.parentsretreat.com/*plum*.html
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooooohhhh, so some of the images are gonna be outside the main area. Um, I know I'm being really dumb, but Ive got two sets of images and one goes on the left one on the right lol. Which side do the ones with the grey/blue background go on?
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

they go on the left the smaller pictures go on the right
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

try now:

http://www.service6.org.uk/richard/msbee.html

It may need a little tweaking to make it work with the images (depending on size) - but I think that is done now :)

Again let me know any other tweaks
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is perfect now except the nav bar needs to move back over to the left outside the main boxes, its overlapping the images and main header again and the titles and content still need to be moved to the center white section under the header. Sorry babes:(

hehehehe sick of me yet!!
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG YOU ARE THE BIGGEST LEGEND!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou soooooooooooooooooooo much rtm!!!! You have no idea how appreciative of this I am!!!

Thankyou for being so patient with me and constantly persisting!!! Luv ya for it *kiss* *kiss* *kiss* *kiss* *kiss*

THANKYOU!!!! :):):)
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heres the final page sweety, thankyou sooooo much all over again!!

http://www.parentsretreat.com
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry ozzu went all funny and my post dissapeared, insert before miss bee's last:

No its ok, I have just been confused all along about what you wanted - the overlapping was an error on my part - I moved some stuff in the html and ended up nesting some divs badly - thats sorted now.

I thought all along that the content was supposed to be running down the side, like little bits and pieces you sometimes get :lol:

Right It is done, probably. I now see what you wanted all along - dammit I'm so dumb sometimes.... :roll:

again - if I missed anything, let me know - not tested IE5 - my colleague is back and using that computer now.

Same file again

To be honest the only reason I had to be so persistant was because I just didn't get what was needed. I spent most of the time figuring how to get Gecko, IE6 AND IE5 to all play nice together, without loads of javascript. All the stuff at the end was really simple so no worries :D
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope I didn't keep you from doing anything else though, thats what I felt worse about :(
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well I'm copying about 50 sheets of hand-written tables into excel, and yes you should feel very guilty about dragging me away from <b>that</b> :wink:

The html is a bit different to how you last saw it, lol I've moved stuff around and deleted bits of it - but it should be pretty easy to figure out. Don't try to change too much in the CSS without giving me a shout first, there's some stuff in there that will become very unstable if it's not precise lol.

also, the html validates, but the CSS doesn't - I've used two lines of Microsoft only code in there (which saves us 60 lines of javascript so i decided its ok).
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awww thankyou!! Not changing a thing except to add real links to my menu, content instead of blah blah blah and maybe my images when the time comes for adding the sites kids to the main page and thats it!!

I love what you've done. You have no idea how valuable you are!
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I could mail you an invoice if really think I'm valuable :wink:
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol nah i'll pass thanks :P off to bed now my mind is at ease. You've saved me from the worst horrible day today! Gotta go get my broken down car from a bad neighborhood tomorrow. Hope its not stripped down when I get there....been there since saturday so fingers crossed!

Goodnight hun and thankyou once again!! *kiss, kiss*
  • Dark_Coder
  • Dark_Coder

Post 3+ Months Ago

A hah.!! At last, the error is solved. Sorry I was late :(
  • Dark_Coder
  • Dark_Coder

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
I could mail you an invoice if really think I'm valuable :wink:

$100 for fixing the codes
$900 for knowing what to fix

Totally = $1000

How about it Bee? :P

Dark Coder
  • potent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
I now have got you valid xhtml, and have started to play with the css. The first thing I notice is you have the tantek celic box model hack done wrong in a few places - I've corrected this and converted it to the reduced version, because I'm assuming that you don't need to support opera 5.

*SWOON*
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sweeeeeeet !! I was hoping this would be solved when I got home today :P

Good job rtm :D
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*beams*

Dark_Coder wrote:
$100 for fixing the codes
$900 for knowing what to fix

Ha - I didn't <b>fix</b> anything, it was quicker to re-write half of it :lol:

@joebert I <i><b>finally</b></i> got to one before you fixed it first eh :) :wink:

*now shuffles into the corner to do penance, so that the Gods of Web Standards will refrain from striking me down with a hail of wet kippers for my icky browser-specific codes.
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

LMAO
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just as a matter of good practice now that you are fiddling with XHTML, try keeping your CSS external ie link to it rather than have it embedded in the page, easier to manage and when you are trying to debug you don't have to scroll up for years then back down you can just flip between your docs.

XHTML is very similar to HTML the major difference is that your empty elements (the one's without close tags) need to be closed inside the tag ie:
Code: [ Select ]
<input type="text" name="blah" />
but you knew that already :wink:

Also try to stick to strict doc types, they make life more difficult but at the end of the day the code is more compatible and disallows sloppy coding which means it is easier to find errors.

Anyways seeing the way everone got together and help out was amazing! :D
  • Dark_Coder
  • Dark_Coder

Post 3+ Months Ago

ha ha ha . By the way, any recommended sites for me? I am newbie web designer .. hee so I need all your help dear brothers, sisters and friends here :D
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dark_Coder wrote:
ha ha ha . By the way, any recommended sites for me? I am newbie web designer .. hee so I need all your help dear brothers, sisters and friends here :D

Depends what you wanna learn
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I am concerned, there is hardly any difference between html and xhtml - I learned xhtml in half an hour. I've also started using the 1.1 doctype, which is neither strict nor transitional.

Plus i always put links to the css, but it saves me uploading multiple files to show miss bee to keep it all in the header :lol:

Rabid Dog wrote:
Dark_Coder wrote:

Depends what you wanna learn

http://www.w3schools.com is always a good place to start, although if you wanna learn css layout techniques like that, it's hard to find sites with really thorough tutorials on them. You have to scrap around to get bits and pieces from a few different places:

http://www.glish.com
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/

and follow all the links from glish as well. But as I said, most are not very thorough, some just give an example and some code for you to take apart yourself, so you've gotta play with them. Plus css layouts can be very unstable if you get something really little wrong. And then there is that browser compatibillity thing.

As I keep promising my CSS tutorials site will be launching within a month and the tutorials are in-depth and thorough, with pretty pictures also :D - which is why it is taking so long :lol:
  • Dark_Coder
  • Dark_Coder

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now, I'd to look sites with good interfaces coz I wanna take as samples ;).
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

rtm223 wrote:
As far as I am concerned, there is hardly any difference between html and xhtml - I learned xhtml in half an hour. I've also started using the 1.1 doctype, which is neither strict nor transitional.

that is why I said the major difference is something as simple as closing empty tags :D

The only reason XHTML came into being was to make HTML compatability with XML. (think that's the right way to describe it?)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the correct way to describe it is like this:
Quote:
The Extensible HyperText Markup Language (XHTML™) is a family of current and future document types and modules that reproduce, subset, and extend HTML, reformulated in XML. XHTML Family document types are all XML-based, and ultimately are designed to work in conjunction with XML-based user agents.

unless you actually want people to understand you :roll: It's also there to make html stricter, although this may be a by-product of basing on xml.
  • Dark_Coder
  • Dark_Coder

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot rtm ;)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 91 posts